Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I convert all of my word documents to pages?

I'm tired of this Microsoft crap on my Mac. I've successfully moved from Entourage on to Apple Mail, now I want to convert all of the Word and Excel documents over to Pages and Numbers. How do I do that without going through each individual file?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 8:06 AM

7 replies

Apr 23, 2015 8:15 AM in response to MapleStar

Highlight any Word document in the Finder. Click on File menu at the top and select get info.. In the Get Info , click the triangle next to "Open With." Choose Pages in drop down menu. If there is no pages on the list , choose "Other" and navigate to the Pages application. Click the "Change" button under the text which asks if you want to open all documents with Pages. Once you will change it double-click the Word documents and they will open in Pages. You can do the same with Excel files.

Apr 23, 2015 1:21 PM in response to MapleStar

The advice you have already received…

Pages v5 is not a Word clone, and does not work natively in Word documents as does Word in Office for Mac 2011. Instead, Pages v5 will attempt to translate your Word content into what Pages supports in its internal .pages document format. Exporting back to Word is another translation. There is no assurance that Word 2013 users will receive a document laid out as exported. You will expend considerable time asking where all the Word features went that are missing in Pages v5. The only application in the world that can open .pages documents is the current version of Pages, as Apple has broken compatibility with previous Pages v5 releases.

A Pages v5 document with only the single character 'A' in it will export as a 500Kb Word document. The support for Word 2010 and 2013 is underwhelming, and there is a high degree of risk that Apple will be caught sleeping with more incompatibilities when Word 2015 finally ships.

Apr 23, 2015 5:16 PM in response to MapleStar

MS Word claims to be, and mostly is, a full size, multi-featured word processor. It is rather complicated. Especially for those who don't use many of the 'features' frequently. I have to re-learn things all the time, too, so you have my sympathy. that said, Pages v4 or v5 is simply NOT attempting to match Word feature for feature, and I don't think it should. I use Pages v4 for "little" things, especially those with graphics, simple footnotes, and under 4 or 5 pages. I use MS Word when I have to. For "big" things I use a non-WYSIWYG app, Scrivener, then fuss with the MS Word output for as little final formatting as possible. For dealing with "the world" I use .pdf's where possible, Word as needed. Many of my contacts don't have Macs, more's the pity.

And yes, I strongly recommend that you not try to translate everything into Pages. It is apparently not intended to replace Word, and I agree - it shouldn't. MS Word is not "for the rest of us."

How do I convert all of my word documents to pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.