Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

want to use airport time capsule for back up only

I have the Apple Airport Time Capsule that was previously used as my router and back up hard drive. Comcast recently installed their combo modem/router in my home and i want to use the Time Capsule function without using the device as a router. How can i achieve this?

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 9:18 AM

9 replies

Apr 23, 2015 11:24 AM in response to randilp1

Before you installed the new modem/router, you were using AirPort Utility on your Mac or PC to administer the Time Capsule.

If you connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <--> ports on the modem/router to one of the LAN <--> ports on the Time Capsule, can you "see" the settings for the Time Capsule that way?

If yes, what operating system are you using on your Mac or PC?

We ask this, since it may only require changing a setting or two on your Time Capsule to have it function the way that you want.......without having to reset the Time Capsule back to factory default settings and then starting all over again from scratch to set the device up again.

Apr 24, 2015 3:19 PM in response to randilp1

Open AirPort Utility, click on the Time Capsule icon, then click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Network tab at the top of the next window

Make sure that the setting for Router Mode is set to "Off (Bridge Mode)'

If you want to turn off the wireless function on the Time Capsule, click the Wireless tab at the top of the window

Change the setting for Network Mode to Off

Click Update at the lower right of the window and allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart

You should be all set

If you are using Time Machine to back up to the Time Capsule, you may need to reset things again in Time Machine Preferences to get backups going again. Post back if you are having difficulty getting backups started back up again.

Apr 24, 2015 7:40 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I cannot thank you enough. The funny thing is that after i plugged the airport in my mac was able to find it and back up my computer even before the settings changes you told me about but my daughter, who has a PC for school, came to tell me that she was not able to get on the internet. When i took a look the network setting appeared to say it was on the network but no connectivity. To further troubleshoot, i checked my husband's PC and same issue. so i figured this airport thing was the problem. After changing the settings on the airport and restarting their computers all is well! Thank you so much!!!

all the best!

Jun 8, 2015 12:06 PM in response to randilp1

hey there,

you helped me a couple of months ago to de-activate my time capsule and allow it to be used just for time machine backups. I found out recently that airport time capsule has a better range for wifi than the comcast one that they installed (combo modem and router). I also didn't realize i could have both networks running simultaneously. I want to get it back up and running again. I think i undid what you told me to do but the light is still flashing yellow. under the internet tab i clicked dhcp on pull down menu. under the wireless tab i clicked network mode: "create a wireless network" for wireless security i clicked "WPA2 personal" under the network tab i clicked "DHCP only"

do you know why i still can't get that network back up?

Jun 8, 2015 2:06 PM in response to randilp1

Always use the factory reset.. or at least a hard reset.. when you move from one setup to another things go wrong.. it is hugely easier to go from a clean unconfigured airport and then set it up correctly for your situation.. the airport utility does a good job now as long as you have plugged it in correctly to get the setup choices correct.. !

want to use airport time capsule for back up only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.