Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers and Pages Update 'waiting' on IoS

Yesterday my iPhone told me that there were updates for Pages and Numbers so I told it to update.

Both updates fail to load. I've stopped and restarted them and hard reset my 'phone but they won't update.

I've deleted the apps and tried to (re)install. Still stuck.

App icon has 'waiting' underneath and I can see the spinning network activity icon at the top.

App Store no longer offers update, or show it as successful. If I search for Numbers in App Store I get the 'cloud' download icon. Click it and it starts to download and the app icon has 'Loading' underneath' but then sticks at 50% (ish) and just sits there.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3, null

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 9:06 AM

28 replies

Apr 23, 2015 10:50 AM in response to cedb

I have the same problem, but it's Keynote that is hanging at about 60% complete installation of the update on an iPad Air 2. Have tried numerous things -- shutting down iPad and restarting, logging out of iTunes and logging back in, using "update" button in iTunes instead of WiFi update. I don't want to jump to the ultimate trick of doing a full reset on the iPad yet, but that may be necessary unless something changes because it is impossible to delete the partial, hung up installation of Keynote from the iPad (holding down the icon until it jiggles and hitting the "x"does nothing). If it's an Apple problem, hope they address it. Otherwise, every iTunes sync on with the Mac involves perpetual spinning arrows on the iPad, even after the sync is supposedly done. Requires a shutdown and reboot of the iPad to get it back to normal (except, of course , that Keynote is still toast)

😕

Apr 24, 2015 7:28 AM in response to cedb

I have the same issue. I had updates for Pages, Numbers and Keynote. Keynote updated fine. Numbers and Pages appear to complete the download part(the progress circle is complete) but the icon shows the install portion stopped around 60% or so. If I cancel the download in the app store update screen the app icon stays partially completed. Restarting, removing etc all do nothing. I have tried this on multiple networks and get the same results. I have a 64 GB iphone 6, and have 22 GB free, so space isn't an issue. Having no other apps running makes no difference.

My iPad Air updated all three apps with no issues. Both iPad and iPhone are on 8.3.

I don't really use them that much...but it is still annoying and I would expect apple software to have less install issues.

Apr 24, 2015 2:09 PM in response to cedb

Still the same situation for me (iPad Air 2, running 8.3; Keynote stuck in "Waiting" mode, or at 60% when I try to sync with iTunes on the Mac). I can't believe a total reset is going to be necessary for one balky update, but it seems a possibility. Quite a waste of time 😟 Wonder why the press-jiggly icon-x delete method does not work? Seems odd. Well, I'm still going to hold out a few more days -- good thing Keynote is not an app I need to use daily.

Apr 25, 2015 11:40 AM in response to cedb

Having a similar problem. Was notified of an update to Pages on my iPad 2. The update downloaded, but the install got stuck at about 60%. I can't delete the app from the iPad or from iTunes. Tried rebooting iPad, resetting router, resetting iPad - no luck. And now iTunes won't start a sync so I can't update anything else on my iPad until this is fixed. What's the answer?

Apr 26, 2015 9:53 AM in response to cedb

After my original post starting the thread I've been pausing / unpausing this update all week but no joy - still stuck 'Loading' at 75%.

Not using my phone for work today so thought I'd try backup with iTunes. Backup OK but didn't clear the problem.

In iTunes I removed Numbers and Pages and synced. They deleted from the iPhone! Good I thought, let's try re-installing.

Pages downloaded in AppStore - download completed (ring 100%), icon back to being stuck 'Loading' at 75%. Paused it. Back to AppStore - now showing 0% download (ring thin line)

Tried Numbers - that's now stuck 'Waiting' and won't pause.

I can see Network access (spinning wheel next to WiFi symbol.

Went back into AppStore and pressed the download button - download stopped and icon vanished.

IS ANYONE AT APPLE MONITORING THIS FORUM? If so could you please help?

Apr 26, 2015 1:29 PM in response to cedb

Just checked my iPad and both apps updated OK on the 21st. My iPhone is still stuck.

This is probably means that Apple can't easily replicate the problem and, because not everyone's effected, aren't bothering with this thread.

Not sure what to do now... MS Office for IOS?

Numbers and Pages Update 'waiting' on IoS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.