Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac troubleshoot black screen on boot up

I own an iMac 5.1 2.16 MHz Core 2 Duo. Boot ROM Im51.0090.B09 Year 2006.

On cold boot up the screen lights up with apple logo then a black screen appears.

I hear the hard drive booting up but cannot see the desktop.

Any Fix?

Paul Ragozin

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Black screen Appears at boot up

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 10:50 AM

5 replies

Apr 24, 2015 8:38 AM in response to paulragozin

try hitting the on/off button on the back gently, without turning the computer completely off while adjusting brightness down with your F1 key to turn down brightness on your iMac. I have the same issue for over a year, and mine runs fine in lowered brightness mode. I can only use it with 2 or 3 bars brightness, but it does work for me. let me know your results please, if the lowered brightness does work you.

Apr 24, 2015 12:36 PM in response to John Travitzky

Hello John,

Well, yesterday after I logged off I thought about my problem and searched some of my old mac documentation.

The first thing I did was to hold the power up button down and not let go for about 5-7 seconds.

The front panel light blinked on and off I would say 5-7 times.

Then, I let go of the button while simultaneously depressing the command key and the s cap key.

This action dump me into unix, and shortly thereafter with some additional looking around in unix everything worked just fine.

I did verify disk and repair.

So, that's my tail.

Thanks again

,Paul

iMac troubleshoot black screen on boot up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.