Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Interference of Wi-Fi and BT (MacBook Air)

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)

Processor 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Storage Capacity 249.78 GB

OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.3

I purchased a Magic Mouse for my desktop usage of my MacBook Air. The mouse can be paired by BlueTooth (BT) well. However, I found that usually after 15 - 20 minutes of using Magic Mouse, I can't access Wi-Fi. For instance, the streaming video stopped streaming, the visiting page could not be found, etc. Such problem can be fixed by turning off my Magic Mouse. So I highly doubt if there is a interference between BT and Wi-Fi.

Observations and debugs:

1. When the Wi-Fi cannot be accessed, the icon still stay normal, indicating that the signal strength is all right. The problem cannot be fixed by rebooting Wi-Fi.

2. Once the Magic Mouse is turned off, the Wi-Fi works back to normal after a few seconds.

3. I turned off all other network services in System Preference, including Display Ethernet, Display FireWire, Bluetooth PAN, Thunderbolt Bridge. But the same issue occurred and can be fixed by Item 2 given above. Actually I suspected that BT PAN can be blocking the way, but it turned out to be not the case.

4. I am testing with my Microsoft wireless Sculpt Comfort mouse (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/sculpt-comfort-mouse), but so far there is no such issue.

5. I use a Logitech K750 wireless keyboard, but I don't think that's the cause of such issue. It works always fine with the Mac.

It turns out that the wireless device works well, which means that there is no interference between BT and Wi-Fi, if there is a USB transeiver. The Magic Mouse is via built-in BT communication, which may be a potential cause. That's my guess. I wonder if there is anybody experiencing the similar issue.

Actually I am a little surprised by getting this trouble with using Apple's mouse, which is supposed to be the best fit for MacBook Air...

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. To be honest, I don't want to waste my $69 Magic Mouse...

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 9:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 10:50 AM

AirPort and Bluetooth- Potential sources of interference

5 replies

Apr 23, 2015 10:50 AM in response to Richard X. Zhao

Unfortunately that is possible. Read Wi-Fi and Bluetooth: Potential sources of wireless interference - Apple Support for some suggestions.

As far as I know anything you purchase from Apple includes a period of free telephone support. Presumably that includes a Magic Mouse. Why not contact them and make them work for you? Use the Contact Us link below right.

Apr 23, 2015 10:58 AM in response to John Galt

Thank you very much for the information, John. I believe I am not alone. That makes me feel good actually...

Apparently the best solution would be to apply a 5GHz Wi-Fi. 2.4GHz band is too crowded... Zigbee takes this carrier frequency as well. I designed a simpler PAN of IEEE 802.15.4, which is again 2.4GHz...

I'll stick to my current configuration for a while till I may upgrade my Wi-Fi service to 5GHz.

Interference of Wi-Fi and BT (MacBook Air)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.