Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut 7 and Pro Tools Workflow

How is an efficient FC7 and Pro Tools workflow look like? Is it possible to have a seemless FC7/Pro Tools workflow like it is with FC7/Soundtrack Pro?

I absolutely love Soundtrack Pro and I think it is a very underrated program but there are some situations when I would like to export audio directly from FC and use Pro Tools for some audio mixing and editing (multi-track editing). Is it possible?

Please help!

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 12:14 PM

6 replies

Apr 28, 2015 8:20 AM in response to PPLIFE

the problem with MtD's workflow is that fcp will only export an OMF with the audio embedded in the file with a file size limitation of 2 gigs (I think) and there is no automation information (if I remember correctly) so the protools session will need to reset all levels. Automatic Duck has a plug in which will allow you to output an OMF with linked rather than embedded media and contains the automation info. Post back if you want more info about this workflow. Most audio mixers don't want your g d levels cause they're control freaks. Always seems like a waste of alot of the work the editors done.

Apr 28, 2015 9:13 AM in response to Michael Grenadier

One of the nice things about Premiere is that you have the option to embed the audio or not in the OMF export dialog box. If you are going to use ProTools on the same machined with access to the original media, then embedding the media is unnecessary, and the Automatic Duck solution would be preferred. My audio guys are across town, so I've always just taken the OMF with the media embedded.

Never was aware of the 2 gig limit, never have hit it.

I believe your audio adjustments in FCP do transfer to Pro Tools, in my experience most audio editors promptly turn them off (which seemed like a one button command in ProTools). I have an audio session later today, working with a OMF from Premiere to ProTools, will check on this and post back.

MtD

Final Cut 7 and Pro Tools Workflow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.