Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Preview Permission problem

I've been using Preview in the past with no problem. I am the only user on this computer.

When I double click a picture and it open in Preview, I make changes and try to save--It says I don't have permission to do this!!

First I repaired permissions on the HD

Did not help

I right clicked on a picture went to Get Indo and changed the permission to Read & Write.

Did not see away to save so closed it. (I did unlock at the beginning)

Anyone help please.

Larry B

OS X Mavericks (10.9), iLife09 iLife 11 for iPhoto5 TC-2TB

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 8:33 AM

Is this one picture or all pictures? If the picture is in your home/user folders, see below.

You may need to rebuild permissions on your user account. To do this,boot to your Recovery partition (holding down the Command and R keys while booting) and open Terminal from the Utilities menu. In Terminal, type: ‘resetpassword’ (without the ’s), hit return, and select the admin user. You are not going to reset your password. Click on the icon for your Macs hard drive at the top. From the drop down below it select the user account which is having issues. At the bottom of the window, you'll see an area labeled Restore Home Directory Permissions and ACLs. Click the reset button there. The process takes a few minutes. When complete, restart.

Repair User Permissions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2015 8:33 AM in response to Larryb227

Is this one picture or all pictures? If the picture is in your home/user folders, see below.

You may need to rebuild permissions on your user account. To do this,boot to your Recovery partition (holding down the Command and R keys while booting) and open Terminal from the Utilities menu. In Terminal, type: ‘resetpassword’ (without the ’s), hit return, and select the admin user. You are not going to reset your password. Click on the icon for your Macs hard drive at the top. From the drop down below it select the user account which is having issues. At the bottom of the window, you'll see an area labeled Restore Home Directory Permissions and ACLs. Click the reset button there. The process takes a few minutes. When complete, restart.

Repair User Permissions

Apr 24, 2015 11:19 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric for the reply.

Now that you remind me I keep my pictures in iPhoto, when I want to modify them I drag them to my desktop for ease of location.

Then I double click them one at a time and Preview shows up. I could also use Skitch but never had a problem before with Preview.

When I try to save it does say something about a folder that I don't have permissions to modify or save to.

Before I do what you suggested thought I'd ask first. (this is with any and all pictures of late)

Jul 28, 2015 10:54 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric.

What I did in the end was reboot my system and when it came up again, I still could not open any of the screenshot/png images. In fact they would not open at all. So I used Force Quit and then opened the Preview app again and it all works perfectly again. This Preview app is great but it is very temperamental. Force Quit is the new Control Alt Delete.

Just in case anyone else has this problem...

In Preview Permission problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.