Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

uninstall iphoto

Can I delete iPhoto now that the Photos app is available? My mac doesn't have too much memory left and it takes up some space.

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 11:01 AM

7 replies

Apr 23, 2015 1:25 PM in response to xoxoyazyxoxo

To add my 2¢ worth to the discussion don't delete the iPhoto application nor it's library. User Photos for a couple of weeks before you decide to delete the iPhoto Library (but not the application).

The only space you'll save is the amount of space for the iPhoto application. The two libraries occupy the same space on the hard drive no matter what the Finder tells you.

Photos does not have many of the features that iPhoto has and you may find that it doesn't suit your needs. You'll her able to continue using iPhoto 9.6.1 until Photos has been updated to include the many features missing and reported to Apple by users via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html

User uploaded file

Apr 23, 2015 1:31 PM in response to Old Toad

until Photos has been updated to include the many features missing and reported to Apple by users

Moreover, there is no guarantee that some of the "missing features" will ever be added. A couple of years ago, Apple dropped the ability to display Keywords under thumbnails in iPhoto. Many, many users asked for it back, but it was never added back in. ( I had to switch to Aperture and Lyn to get this feature.)

uninstall iphoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.