Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my HP printer software will not install. stated that it no longer supported PowerPC software

I have an HP 5610 All in one printer and while I can still print, I can no longer scan documents. The HP software cannot be re-installed due to a "Power PC" matter. It is no longer supported by Apple. Does this mean I have to buy a new printer.

iMac (20-inch Early 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 12:55 PM

10 replies

Apr 23, 2015 3:32 PM in response to RonBurch

Software on CD is nearly ALWAYS outdated by the time you buy the printer. Don't bother with that!

Please read this document about how we NORMALLY get drivers now in OS X:

OS X: Printer and scanner software available for download - Apple Support

Another way to force OS X to re-index (that is, find) current drivers is to Reset Printing System:

Mac OS X: How to reset the printing system - Apple Support

Apr 24, 2015 5:57 AM in response to tbirdvet

the web site for that printer is:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/closure/hp-officejet-5600-all-in -one-printer-series/441142/model/441143#…

Here's what it says (There's no download available - so No Download button shown):

This document applies to HP printers supported in Mac OS X v10.10 Yosemite, v10.9 Mavericks, v10.8 Mountain Lion, v10.7 Lion, and v10.6 Snow Leopard that only have drivers available through Apple Software Update.

Install the best available Mac printer driver and software from Apple Software Update.

NOTE:

Where is the download button? The HP printer driver is built into Apple’s Software Update feature on your Mac computer. Your printer is likely supported through Apple Software Update and you do not need to download anything from a website in order to print, scan, or fax.

Apr 28, 2015 12:50 PM in response to Eric Root

I've been in touch with HP (they were very quick to respond) and the printer is no longer supported, meaning no software updates to counter the Power PC issue. To use the original software it will require me to go back to an earlier OS (which I have) but I'll just use the system preferences/printer and get to the scanner that way. I don't scan as much as I did a few years back, so I'll just use that adjustment until time to purchase a new printer. I have to say this HP printer has lasted, without problems for many years.

Thanks for all your help.

May 2, 2015 2:16 AM in response to RonBurch

Hey RonBurch,

The HP Officejet 5610 is compatible with Mavericks.

Please follow the steps below to install the drivers on your Mac, you shouldn't use any CD:

Basically you should connect the USB and install the drivers from Apple

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c04510394&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en &os=4159&product=441125&sw_lang=

For scanning install the HP Easy Scan app, it is available from the Mac App Store and will be installed within the applications folder:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hp-easy-scan/id967004861?mt=12

Regards,

Shlomi

my HP printer software will not install. stated that it no longer supported PowerPC software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.