Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Connected To WIFI - Won't Play iTunes Library

So this is a conundrum I hope someone here with a great mind can solve.

A month or so ago, the cable company came and installed an upgraded wireless router, the old one worked fine and wasn't really that old but they called and said they had to install a new one. Either it was a Mossad agent or some sort of medical experiment, but I digress.

After that the Apple TV has been having some major issues.

Problem:

- it uses a long time to load previews or movie trailers.

- it displays the iTunes library but when you hit PLAY it just starts loading and never starts to play.

- when you try to play it never goes into 'authentication' or 'purchasing' mode.

- when I use the network speed test it states that everything works fine.

- the software is updated to the latest.

- AirPlay doesn't work at all, not from YouTube either.

Strange:

- the YouTube app works perfectly.

- so does the Netflix app.

- the Smart TV has an HBO Nordic app and a Viaplay app that also works perfectly.

- The King and I was purchased a while ago - because a) it's a classic and b) Yul Brynner, and while trying to get the Apple TV to work, I played around with different option, hit play and the 'Movie Menu' came up - where you can choose Play, Special Features, etc. I hit Special Features and went for the 'Sing Along- version (I know) and the movie played perfectly. However, if I tried to just hit play ordinarily, it just kept loading.

Misc. info:

- there's money in my iTunes account.

- even though I'm currently in Norway, it's set to the US in the General Settings.

Specs:

- Apple TV

- Model: MC572LL/A

- Apple TV Software: 6.2 1

I haven't reset the Apple TV to factory settings, not sure if that'll do anything.

And a bit worried it might screw it up even further.

Is there hope out there?

Thanks!

Apple TV, null

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 2:11 PM

2 replies

Apr 23, 2015 5:11 PM in response to SilenceYDogood

The network test on the device doesn't account for issues. You would need a network report from istumbler, netstumbler or similar. This will show signal strength, noise, nearby networks. Trying ethernet will also help rule out wifi issues.

Make sure DNS is set to auto (settings - general - network)

Location should also be set to where you are located.

Apr 24, 2015 5:45 AM in response to vazandrew

Thanks.

I've now ensured that the DNS is set to auto, I changed the location.

No effect.

I also tried using ethernet, that just made everything disappear except for Setting and Home Sharing.

The strange part is that Netflix and YouTube work on the Apple TV, why then won't iTunes work?

Also, the location was set to the US because I had a US debit card connected to the account. I've added a gift card I got to the account and even purchased an album via iTunes on my Mac with no issues.

Furthermore, I just noticed that now when I try to play a previously purchased movie or TV show or if I try to purchase something via Apple TV it goes through Authorizing purchase for a few seconds then quickly proceeds to 'Loading' mode as if it has been purchased or approved. The issue is then again that the loading mode never ends.

Do you have any other tricks or ideas?

Apple TV Connected To WIFI - Won't Play iTunes Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.