Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery Drainage while not in use.

Well, last week, my iPhone 5s was working perfectly. Working 12-hour shifts while listening to podcasts in airplane mode would make the battery go from 100% to 92% by the end of shift.

THIS week, the thing drains badly. Five minutes after unplugging it, it loses 5%, and keeps going down.

Last night at work, I went to plug it in while it was reading 70%. As soon as I plugged it in, it instantly dropped from 70% to 57%. I've never seen that happen before.

My Wife has the same model as mine, and she's not experiencing this issue.

I've stopped location services and a whole bunch of other stuff. Bluetooth is off as well.

I'm wondering if there's some hidden background program running to cause this, or a faulty battery.

Any help would be appreciated.

Windows 7

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 1:53 PM

17 replies

Apr 23, 2015 2:00 PM in response to RandalllFlagg

Iphone 5's. ok. this is probably the phone I had that drained battery the most! Here are the reasons your battery may be draining quickly:

- Background app refresh is turned on

- too much storage filled up

- bluetooth is turned on

- brightness is to high

- you don't close your apps.

Tips to make your battery last longer, pass ur info into your computer, photos videos etc, get rid of some useless apps, turn off background app refresh (If you still haven't) make sure you constantly close your apps, keep bluetooth turned off unless in use, and try to maintain a moderate brightness 😁 hope this helped!

Apr 23, 2015 2:11 PM in response to lucyme94

But, lucyme94, this never happened until this week. I'd never had a problem with this before on any of my iPhones. Last week, it was working great. I've already done all of the things you suggested, and it still drains at the same rate. The only thing that keeps it from completely dying is to keep it in airplane mode, and that's only a stay of execution. It'll still draining at the same rate no matter what I've tried.

AND, my Wife's phone is working great as well. She's not having this issue.

Apr 26, 2015 3:33 PM in response to RandalllFlagg

Well, after I did the restore and let my phone charge to 100%, I went out and about running errands. After around four hours with the phone in my pocket the whole time (Not in airplane mode), it was down to 74%. Again, three weeks ago it would have only gone down to 95% under the same conditions.

Wife's phone is still doing great.

I'm going to charge it back up to 100% and see where it's at after 4 hours in airplane mode.

I'll be back here afterwords to update.

Apr 26, 2015 10:13 PM in response to RandalllFlagg

Did you take any back up to device? iTunes backup's can make issue persist. Also please check if your device is in a replacement program. I suggest to restore again and use iCloud backup this time. Also if you have an old iCloud backup from before the issue happened you may use that too. I downloaded one app and it happened to my 5s too so i restored and use the backup previous than that app download. to check replacement program visit https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

Battery Drainage while not in use.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.