Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't find recently installed Lion on hard drive!

I downloaded Lion for my MacBook Pro last week because my 2014 TurboTax disc needed at least 10.7. The machine has been slowing down considerably and so I asked a friend who is an IT guy to help me. He said defragging might be needed. I had already installed Lion when he said to make a bootable version on a thumb drive. I set about trying to do so but can't even find Lion on my computer! Can I only make a bootable version on a thumb drive if it hasn't yet been installed? I asked him via email but haven't heard back. Should I download it again and this time save the Install OS X Lion to the thumb drive with Disc Utility? Why can't I find it? What if I wanted to uninstall it and go back to 10.6?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 2:32 PM

2 replies

Apr 23, 2015 2:40 PM in response to betsycam4602

If you downloaded and installed Lion, Mac OS X 10.7.5, that should be what you see when you go to the apple, left side of the menu bar, About This Mac. That should indicate that the Version is 10.7.5.

If you installed Lion, the final step of the installation is to delete the installer, if you did not install you should find the installer in your Applications folder. Click on that to start the installation process.

If you want another copy of the installer, open the Mac App Store, click on Purchases and you should be able to download the installer for Lion again. However, do not allow it to initiate the installation, copy the installer to a flash drive of at least 8 GB that has been formatted Mac OS X Extended (Journaled).

You can then allow the installer to proceed if you are in doubt about your installation.

Can't find recently installed Lion on hard drive!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.