Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot change computer name (Mac OS X 10.6.8, Mac mini A1176)

Hello there! I am currently new to this site. Thank you for checking out my question.

A bit of background information. From what I know, my friend attempted to use Migration Assistant from a Macbook onto the Mac mini I am writing about. For whatever reason, probably because of the background of the Macbook (Looked like a school computer), several things are now locked on the computer. I am going to ask, firstly, the thing that personally bothers me most.

The problem is its name. The name is stuck as, exactly, STE3M19-02$. The pane where it is located is grayed out, and I attempted to use a Terminal command to change the name, which did work for a time, only to find it changed back the next time I booted it up. I attempted this Terminal method twice.

As noted in the title, this Mac mini (Model A1176) is primarily running OS X 10.6.8, with a separate partition for 10.5.0. In addition, if needed, it includes a 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo, an upgraded 2 GB of ram, and 120 GB of storage.

Feel free to ask any other questions that may help to the solving of this problem.

Thank you.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Model number A1176

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 2:05 PM

9 replies

Apr 21, 2016 5:15 AM in response to zeynepbk

Your problem, hardware or software, may not be exactly the same as that of the original poster of this older thread, and it can be very confusing for everybody if we try to answer more than one question in each thread, which can also result in you applying the wrong advice to your particular problem.

In order for us to give your problem our proper attention to try to solve it, would you kindly start your own thread, describing the trouble you are having in the fullest detail, including completing your details to show what Mac or iDevice you are using, what operating system, and what version of the application in question. Please remember to post in the forum relevant to your hardware or version of OS X. A full list of all the support forums is here:

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

Apr 21, 2016 5:22 AM in response to zeynepbk

Hello, zeynepbk.

It's been a long while since I've had this problem, and I did figure out a solution, although it might not be as satisfying as you like.

If you've got the same problem as me, the name will not change at all. I found out that this was due to a school-modified computer. The unsatisfying solution would be to reinstall the whole system, but I don't know if you want to do that or have the tools to do so.

Is this a recent problem with an older Mac, or did you recently get this Mac? It would be quite helpful to post what you're using and a summary of the background.

Cannot change computer name (Mac OS X 10.6.8, Mac mini A1176)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.