Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best Closed Back Headphones for recording Vocals?

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice on the best closed back headphones to buy to record vocals with? I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones for about £17 but when I have tried recording vocals they suffered from "Bleeding" and when I check the recorded vocal tracks I can hear some of the backing track ie coming through from headphones.

Does anyone know the best reasonably priced closed back headphones to buy for recording vocals? Headphones that do not bleed? And do you have to spend a fortune to get a good closed back headphones to record live vocals with?

If anyone here has bought a pair to record vocals with and are happy with them and they definitely do not bleed then I would love to know your recommendations too.

Many thanks.

iMac

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 1:52 PM

13 replies

Apr 23, 2015 3:02 PM in response to Jamiesroom

Some people highly recommend the Direct Sound EX29s

http://www.extremeheadphones.com/passive-noise-isolation-hearing-protection-head phones/studio-products/ex-29-headphones/

$109 / £119 on Amazon currently....

Personally I always rely on my trusty Sennheiser HD280Pros...... as they give pretty good isolation (though not as good as the EX29s) along with a good quality sound... and for me they are a much more versatile set of cans for all kinds of uses in the studio....

$69 / £82 on Amazon currently...

Apr 23, 2015 3:40 PM in response to Jamiesroom

Just took a listen to tracks from a group I recorded last month... the best phones for isolation that I own are Sennheiser HD280_Pro. About $100 U.S. They're heavy, fit tight on the head and have soft foam ear pads that do a decent job of sealing. Studios have dealt with headphone bleed since day one, if you're headphone monitoring at high levels, some bleed is to be expected.

If you're using a lot of compression it can make the bleed stand out between vocals or on quiet vocal sections. You can try using a soft gate setting to minimize bleed between vocal phrases. You can also flip the phase on your vocal track and see if that affects or reduces the effect of the headphone bleed.

Apr 23, 2015 3:45 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

The Art Of Sound wrote:

Personally I always rely on my trusty Sennheiser HD280Pros...... as they give pretty good isolation (though not as good as the EX29s) along with a good quality sound... and for me they are a much more versatile set of cans for all kinds of uses in the studio....

$69 / £82 on Amazon currently...

That's a good price on HD-280's I paid $99 a few years ago.

Apr 23, 2015 11:24 PM in response to Jamiesroom

Thanks The Art Of Sound, ErikSimon, Pancenter and Data Sream Studio for your informative replies.

The concensus seems to be that the Sennheiser HD280Pros is the best choice huh? As several of you recommended them for recording vocals with no music from the backing track bleeding into the recording process.

Do these Sennheiser HD280Pros suffer from any bleed at all when you are recording live vocals? Or are they perfect for recording live vocals without any bleed at all?

And when you are recording live vocals what would recommend the volume of the backing track be set to? As I know some vocalists like to hear the backing tracks loud when they are recording their live vocals but of course this could create more problems with the bleeding from the headphones.

Many thanks.

Apr 24, 2015 1:45 AM in response to Jamiesroom

I don't think anyone here is going to say this or that is perfect... we don't know how you record, how much experience you have or how loud you're running the backing tracks. As I said in my post, it's not uncommon to have some bleed through... it usually doesn't present a problem. I've recorded in some major studios in San Diego, Phoenix and LA and watched singers record tracks with open-air headphones if that's the sound they preferred and never heard headphone bleed be much of an issue. You will often see singers recording with their hands on the headphones, they're usually pushing them tightly against their head to minimize bleed.

The other thing we don't know is how you're using certain effects (like compression) and if that's making the bleed worse.

All I can say for certain is in my original post... "the best phones for isolation that I own are Sennheiser HD280_Pro".

Looking at DataStreamStudio's post and checking out the website I think the EX29's are probably better. Both the HD280's and the EX29 are going to be considerably better than the inexpensive Sennheiser's you were using.

Apr 24, 2015 1:54 AM in response to Pancenter

Pancenter wrote:

You will often see singers recording with their hands on the headphones, they're usually pushing them tightly against their head to minimize bleed.

How thoughtful of them! 😀

Singers generally don't care too much about the engineering side of things though, I'm pretty sure they primarily use this pushing in to raise the volume. If they do it too forcefully it may be a sign that you need to adjust the monitoring mix.

Best Closed Back Headphones for recording Vocals?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.