Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RIP Aperture -- you had a great life!

Sure, it's not perfect. Maybe because Apple hasn't done much to it in the past few years, but as I look for replacements -- I'm struck with just how good Aperture really is. I'm going to miss it and it's going to be really hard to replace (sorry, not crazy about LightRoom).

I'll be using Aperture until an OS X update breaks it -- but man, the ease of doing things, the artistry behind the tools and UI, it spoiled me!

It's been my photo editing/organizer for many years and I for one, will really, really miss it!

Apple gets a lot of flack, rarely do people support or compliment a piece of software but RIP Aperture -- you were a great old program and us videographers and photographers will really miss you.

MB

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 2:45 PM

4 replies

Apr 24, 2015 3:27 AM in response to moebelli

I concur. Really hope Apple will do something to replace Aperture with something as good or better in the near future. I got my first Mac (iMac) about 2 years ago, and used Aperture ever since. I will continue using Aperture for many more years as it does everything I need. I don't much care for the new Photo app that replaced iPhoto. At least we still have Aperture and it did not go away like iPhoto did.

Apr 24, 2015 10:31 AM in response to dthawk63

If you upgraded to the latest OSX Yosemite 10.10.3 - the new Photos is part of the OSX update and replaced your iPhoto icon on the Applications Dock. You cannot delete the new Photos, but your old iPhoto app and libraries are still in your updated OSX system. Simply go to your iMac Applications folder and you should find your old iPhoto application there, which you can click on and still use, along with its image library.

Apr 24, 2015 12:15 PM in response to dthawk63

At least we still have Aperture and it did not go away like iPhoto did.

Both Aperture and iPhoto have equally "gone away". Neither are available in the App Store anymore. You can still continue to use iPhoto, (and many are) if you wish.

Like many others, I plan to continue with Aperture until Apple breaks it. I have been "playing around" with alternatives. So far, I like "Lyn" the best. It does not have the editing power of Aperture, but you are able to display Keywords under thumbnails which is an absolute requirement that Photos does not have.

RIP Aperture -- you had a great life!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.