Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers 3.5.3 "document.numbers can't be opened". Why? It worked fine earlier today?

I have a numbers document I am working on my MBP and iPhone 5s. I just recently updated to 3.5.3. Now a VERY important document won't open! How do I resolve? How do I go back to 3.5.2?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 2:29 PM

8 replies

Apr 24, 2015 8:10 AM in response to Jwilliams3318

I don't believe attempting to downgrade Numbers will help.

Here are a couple suggestions:

1. Open https://www.icloud.com/ and log in with your Apple ID and password, and open Numbers. Determine if you can load your document.
  2. If that fails, navigate to the following folder using the following method:

Select the entire line that follows (triple-click to select it), then control-click, and from the contextual menu that appears, select Services > Open:

~/Library/Mobile Documents/

Open the Numbers folder and determine if you can find that document and open it.

If you have been using Time Machine, you might find an archived version in that same folder that Numbers can open.

Good luck.

Apr 24, 2015 9:21 AM in response to John Galt

Hey John,

Thanks for your reply. I followed you instructions. I was not able to open it from iCloud.com. I tried the second option. It first asks me to confirm running the service "open", but then only shows the "mobile documents info". I can't figure out a way to actually navigate to that folder. Could you please help?

Thanks so much!

Josh W.

Apr 24, 2015 9:49 AM in response to Jwilliams3318

To navigate to that folder you can also copy that line and paste it in the Finder's Go menu > Go To Folder...

That does the same thing, but I am assuming that folder exists on your Mac. I no longer recall if that folder has the same name as it did with OS X versions prior to Yosemite, but I can find out.

To determine your OS X version click the  (Apple menu) > About This Mac.

Apr 24, 2015 10:06 AM in response to John Galt

I currently have 10.10.3.

Even through Finder, I can not find a Mobile Documents folder. Maybe disappeared with Yosemite? Regardless, when I enter the path, it brings me directly to my iCloud Drive. Of course, the file.numbers is there, but still gives the same error when I attempt to open it. I do have a Time Machine set up, but, just as what I can navigate to through Library, there is no Mobile Documents folder there.

Again, thanks for the help, very appreciated!

Apr 24, 2015 12:41 PM in response to Jwilliams3318

Opening ~/Library/Mobile Documents/ will cause a window to open with title "iCloud Drive".

To attempt to retrieve an earlier version from Time Machine, don't open it. Instead, navigate to ~/Library using the same technique, then "Enter Time Machine". Then, open Mobile Documents. Its contents will have unexpected names. In the case of Numbers look for a folder named com~apple~Numbers.

Open that folder from within Time Machine, then open the Documents folder within it. Determine if you can find a copy of your document. If you can, do not click Restore. Instead, control-click (or two-finger tap) the document. In the contextual menu that appears, choose "Restore (document) to...". The Time Machine interface will close and you will returned to the Finder, which will ask you to designate a location. Choose one such as your Desktop.

The reason for doing that is I suspect restoring a document to that same folder may corrupt the iCloud storage database. That will probably repair itself but why ask for trouble.

I don't know if this will help. The best you can possibly hope for is to find an earlier, Time Machine version of your document that Numbers will open, or for your latest readable version to spontaneously reappear in iCloud, so if you do manage to retrieve a readable copy keep it separate from iCloud for now.

Apr 24, 2015 3:04 PM in response to SGIII

The problem is that TM treats "iCloud Drive" differently than it does other folders. I don't know why but I surmise it's due to the unusual way the real Mobile Documents folder is actually organized. I also surmise it's following some iOS file structure, one not available to the user in iOS.

Fortunately Time Machine backs up Mobile Documents like everything else, but to restore a TM-backed up document from it you must first select the normally hidden user Library, then Enter Time Machine, then navigate to a previous backup, then open Mobile Documents. That isn't exactly intuitive. If Apple intends to do anything about it they're not talking.

Numbers 3.5.3 "document.numbers can't be opened". Why? It worked fine earlier today?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.