Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail receive failures. Must restart app, or even phone

I have 5 gmail accounts on my iPhone 6, IOS 8.3

I have trouble with email downloads. Sometimes I look at mail and hours have passed since mail downloaded. When I try to download manually, I see the spinning circle, but nothing happens.

Sometimes works if I quit the app and restart. Sometimes I must restart the phone.

This happens on wifi or Verizon. Internet works fine, Gmail native app works fine. iPad works fine.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 5:34 PM

1 reply

Apr 26, 2015 2:09 PM in response to sfo

Greetings sfo,

It seems you're experiencing an issue with gmail accounts in the Mail app. The following article provides a series of troubleshooting steps which may help you find a solution:

Gmail account cannot get or send email in iOS - Apple Support

If you can’t get or send mail with a Gmail account on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, follow these steps.

If you see an alert

Alerts you might see on your iOS device when you try to check or send messages in Gmail include:

• "Cannot Get Mail. The connection to the server 'imap.gmail.com' failed."
  • "Cannot Send Mail. The connection to the server 'smtp.gmail.com' failed."
  • "The username or password for [account] is incorrect."
  • "Could not connect using SSL. Would you like to try setting up the account without SSL?" If you select “yes” repeatedly, a message appears saying, "Cannot Get Mail. The connection to the server 'imap.gmail.com' failed.”
  • “The mail server “gmail.com” is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings.”
  • “The IMAP server 'imap.gmail.com' is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the 'Incoming Mail Server' field.”

If you see any of these messages, follow these steps. After each step, check to see if you fixed the issue.

1. Make sure your device is connected to the Internet by opening Safari and visiting www.apple.com.
  2. If you have other email accounts on your device, try to send and receive email from those accounts. If your Gmail account is the only one with the issue, fill out an unlock form, which proves your identity.
  3. Remove your Gmail account from your device and add it again: Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts and Calendars > Add Account > Google. Enter your account information.

Get more help

If you have 2-Step verification enabled on your Google account, you'll need to generate an App Password to use with your iOS Device.

For more help sending or receiving Gmail, follow this Google support article. You can also visit Google support articles for downloading and sending mail.

Thank you for contributing to Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Bobby_D

Mail receive failures. Must restart app, or even phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.