Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bridge mode as a guest network?

I have one airport extreme as the router at my dental practice with a very long and very strong password. If I setup a second airport extreme up in the waiting room and create a new wireless network and set it to bridge mode with wpa/wpa2 password, have I sufficiently made a pathway to the internet for patients without providing a hole to more sensitive areas of our back office wifi and lan network? If not, is it possible and what settings should I be aware of. I was able to set this up and create a second network that I could connect to the internet with my iphone, but I am concerned as to if I have taken the appropriate security precautions or if making it really secure is even possible. I have unplugged the bridged airport until I get some feedback from you guys.

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 6:19 PM

17 replies

Apr 23, 2015 8:33 PM in response to jedicpa

Guest Network is as separate from your other one as yours is from mine or anyone else's.

A "wirelessly extended" network extends both. There are no additional security precautions you need to take, other than the usual: WPA/WPA2 encryption with a reasonably secure password, and physical inaccessibility of the routers to preclude unauthorized tampering.

Apr 24, 2015 5:34 AM in response to jedicpa

Clarifying my setup....... simpe cable modem (no wireless/no routing) > airport extreme #1 (wireless network/routing using DHCP) > airport extreme #2 (connected via ethernet/currently in bridge mode/ created 2nd wireless network)

I admit I am a novice at all of this, but if I am understanding correctly my 2nd wireless network created by extreme #2 is getting ip address and distributing ip addresses for wireless clients from extreme #1.

So here is the concern, I was hoping to do guest networking because I want the waiting room to be a completely separate network with different range of addresses from the wifi used back in the clinic. The goal is to allow internet access to waiting room patients without any access to sensitive (HIPPA) back office clinic information. There are numerous support articles about guest networking and double nat errors when using bridge mode. However these articles usually involve a gateway type modem/router which I am not using.

Can I set up extreme #1 with a guest network and bridge extreme #2 to allow access to that guest network?

Or if I am totally off base what setup should I be using?

Apr 24, 2015 7:08 AM in response to jedicpa

Can I set up extreme #1 with a guest network and bridge extreme #2 to allow access to that guest network?

Yes.

I understand what you are proposing and it doesn't change the answer. I also understand HIPPA implications. Guest Network clients do not have any more ability to use your other wireless network than they would if you choose not to enable Guest Network.

However these articles usually involve a gateway type modem/router which I am not using.

I understand that too. You are proposing to use one router – the Extreme. It will create two separate and distinct wireless networks, as separate and distinct as any other, and they will not be "bridged". The second Extreme is not acting as a router so there will be no "double NAT" concerns.

Remember to keep the Extreme physically secure. Leaving it accessible to unauthorized others would be no different than leaving a back office computer accessible to unauthorized others.

Apr 24, 2015 9:21 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks for your patience, JG. I understand what you are saying. However, are you not talking about extending the network wirelessly? IOW extreme#2 will not be plugged in by Ethernet, but will connect wireless to the router/extreme. I was hoping to be able to wire the waiting room extreme #2 through the switch to make it as efficient as possible with out degrading the throughput, which one apple article I read pointed out. Apple's optimal solution for increasing your wifi coverage is to bridge successive routers using Ethernet connections, but other message board posts I have read says guest networks will not work in this configuration.

Am I correct in that if I extend a wireless network I can not use the lan port to connect back to extreme/router through the switch?

Apr 24, 2015 10:11 AM in response to John Galt

In my very basic train of thought. I was hoping by connect extreme #2 through the switch, it would be more efficient and faster service than connecting wirelessly to extreme #1/router. If you are just wanting to increase the range of your network Apples article titled, Wi-Fi base stations: Setting up and configuring roaming networks (802.11 a/b/g/n), implies to me that the optimum setup is to connect base stations through Ethernet and bridge them.

When extending a wireless network I have never understood if that means you are extending the wireless network only by communicating wirelessly amongst the base stations or if you could extend the wireless network with the base stations communicating with each other over cat 5.

Apr 24, 2015 11:26 AM in response to jedicpa

the optimum setup is to connect base stations through Ethernet and bridge them.

That's correct. A switch won't change the nature of a "roaming network". Bear in mind it has to be just as inaccessible as any other device to ensure the security of your network.

To be completely, over the top technically accurate, a "network bridge" describes a link between two networks. Merely connecting Ethernet devices to one another doesn't create a bridge, but a new or previously unconfigured Extreme will automatically be configured as a bridge as long as you connect it to your router using Ethernet, and you set it up that way.

I mention that only so that you don't confuse yourself when describing your network topology. You wouldn't call a crown a bridge, right? Or would you... I don't know 🙂

What's important for you to realize is that an Extreme's Guest Network is not bridged to its other one. I surmise that may be the source of your concern.

Apple doesn't help matters by applying the same "extend" terminology to both wired and "wirelessly extended" networks, but you are correct in that a "roaming network" specifically describes access points that communicate with a router using Ethernet. I suppose they reason that users shouldn't have to burden themselves with such minutia. Each of those configurations is an "extended" network to them, even though they accomplish it very differently.

Apr 25, 2015 6:27 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks John. One last question. So I am still confused as to weather I can use the quest network feature on these two extremes. If I turn on the guest network feature on the extreme/router will that guest network carry over to the ethernet connected extreme 2 that is "roaming" connected device. If not, what happens if I turn on quest network on the extreme 2? Does it create a second guest network and would it allow clients to get to the internet?

Apr 25, 2015 7:11 AM in response to jedicpa

In order to do what you want, you would have to first turn on the guest network feature on your "main" AirPort Extreme and get that working correctly first.

Then, when you add the second AiPort Extreme, the setup "wizard" will automatically extend both the private and guest networks using Ethernet with the second AirPort Extreme. You don't have to worry about jargon like "roaming" or "create" or "bridge mode".

The end result is that you will have greater wireless coverage for both the "private" and "guest" networks. They will still be completely separate in that devices on the guest network will not be able to "see" any devices on the "private" network and vice versa.

However, if you do not turn on the guest feature on the "main" AirPort Extreme first.....then you will not be able to set up a "guest" network on the second AirPort Extreme and have it do what you want.

I think that part of the problem that you appear to be having with understanding all of this is that you are looking at a 3+ year old Apple support document that has little to no relation to the way that newer operating systems and newer versions of AirPort Utility operate. Unfortunately, Apple has not updated the document to include the newer operating systems and AirPort Utility versions.

The bottom line here is that if you get the "main" AirPort Extreme working with both the "private" and "guest" networks, then it will take about 2 minutes to set up the second AirPort Extreme to do the same thing.......virtually automatically. All that you need to do is connect the AirPorts using the Ethernet cable, start up the setup wizard, and assign a device name to the second Extreme. The setup wizard takes care of all the rest, you just sit back watch the setup happen on your screen.

If you want step by step, we can provide that.

Apr 25, 2015 7:20 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks JG. That was really helpful. I don't find the wizard as automatic or perhaps I don't realize how automatic it can be. Perhaps the issue is that the extreme/router is the newest 6th generation device (cube tower) and the second extreme is either a 4th or 5th gen device. May be time to hard reset or factory reset that device. Thanks again.

Apr 25, 2015 7:36 AM in response to jedicpa

It sounds like you may be confusing AirPort Utility with the setup "wizard". They are two different things. Use the wizard to set this up. Use AirPort Utility to change a setting or change a name after you have things set up.

Assuming that you have the "main" AirPort setup and working with both a private and guest network........

Connect an Ethernet cable from a LAN <--> port on the main AirPort to the WAN (circle of dots) port on the new Extreme.

Click the WiFi icon at the top of the screen and look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

User uploaded file

Click on AirPort Extreme

That will get the setup wizard running, and after a few seconds it will display a screen that looks similar to this, except that you will see icons of your devices

User uploaded file

Type in a name that you want to call the new AirPort Extreme and click Next

Then, watch the next screen to verify that the new AirPort Extreme is being set up to "extend using Ethernet"

User uploaded file

Then, when you see the screen with the message of Setup Complete, click Done. And, you are done. Everything is now set up perfectly.

User uploaded file

Apr 25, 2015 7:44 AM in response to jedicpa

May be time to hard reset or factory reset that device.

Yes, absolutely.

It's almost as though Apple has given up on attempting to document AirPort Utility or how to configure a network, perhaps due to the unpredictable complexities of even small networks. You really are better off starting with a "hard reset" for both devices and just answering the prompts. Its automatic setup is actually pretty good. Don't overanalyze it. If the result is unexpected, write back for instructions, which will probably start with another "hard reset".

For reference:

To "hard reset" an AirPort Base Station: make sure it's powered up, then gently press and hold its tiny reset button. Don't apply any more force than required to feel a tactile click. Keep it depressed for five to ten seconds, long enough for its LED to flash amber rapidly. Release the reset button. Then, the LED will glow amber steadily for about a minute. Then, it will flash amber, slowly, about once every second or two, waiting for you to configure it with AirPort Utility.

Apr 25, 2015 9:45 AM in response to jedicpa

In order to run the setup wizard, you have to start from a factory default state with the AirPort device. The "new" AirPort that you will be adding will already be set this way when you take it out of the box, so it is ready to be set up.

If you are going to use another AirPort Extreme for your "second" Extreme, and that device has been set up previously, then you would need to first "Hard Reset" the AirPort. Then, the setup "wizard" will recognize the "new" AirPort and the setup will run quickly and correctly.

Apr 25, 2015 9:50 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob and John G. I honestly didnt not know about this wizard. I have always used the airport utility. After hard reset of extreme two, does it have to be physically/directlyconnected to airport extreme/router #1 or can it be connected via ethernet through my offices switch.

Thanks again guys. Learning alot over last couple of days.

Bridge mode as a guest network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.