Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD repair needed, disk utility taking ages at gathering disk info

Hi there,

I have been reading these threads for a while but with no luck. Earlier on today my Mac froze, even the mouse froze, so I forced a restart. Upon restart, for the first time ever I faced the prohibited/forbidden logo and a grey screen. Sometimes after a few goes pressing cmd option p r I could get back on, at others by just leaving it at the grey screen it would log back on. Once logged on the performance was really really slow (it is usually super-fast with an SSD and 16bg ram) also it failed to backup to timemachine and when I tried to move some files to a USB some of them couldn't be moved, also when i did searches in finder it would take ages and some files just wouldn't appear (though I could find them manually by going to the folders myself)

I spent a few hours trying to fix the problem and think I tried most things but nothing worked (e.g apparently I have a kernel 0x6 issue here.) Anyway, I assume the problem is something to do with a forced restart on an SSD messing up its logs somehow? I can access the files and login but the perfomance is awful. Obviously the SSD isn't dead yet. Disk utility instructed me to restart cmd r and repair in disk utility, this seems like the best way forwards, however now I am stuck on 'gathering info'.

Does anyone have any tips on the best next steps?thanks very much

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 8.3, 960gb SSD, 16gb ram. No past issues

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 8:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 7:44 PM

Install or Reinstall OS X from Scratch

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your startup volume (usually Macintosh HD) from the

left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Optionally, click on

the Security button and set the Zero Data option to one-pass. Click on

the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should install the version of OS X that you had installed.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2015 7:44 PM in response to dannyparrott

Install or Reinstall OS X from Scratch

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your startup volume (usually Macintosh HD) from the

left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Optionally, click on

the Security button and set the Zero Data option to one-pass. Click on

the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should install the version of OS X that you had installed.

Apr 26, 2015 7:44 PM in response to dannyparrott

Never rely on just TimeMachine or any one backup set or method.

You probably need to erase (but not "secure erase") the SSD to try to get it back to working, if not replace with a newer unit.

Data Rescue 4 (demo) can be handy to recover files not backed up.

Installing OS X to another drive temporarily can help rebuild your system to restore to your SSD.

Carbon Copy Cloner is an excellent backup, cloning program that can archive, is bootable, and gives you more security and safety net.

http://www.bombich.com

SSD repair needed, disk utility taking ages at gathering disk info

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.