Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4S no internet 8.3

So heres the thing. In our house we have 12 devices including 3 macs and various ipads and iphones. All the other devices connect to the local Wifi router and happily surf the net, download apps and everything they are supposed to do.

One iphone 4S (we have 3 of them) will NOT get any data from anywhere except the local lan.

To explain further:

a) It connects to the LAN and gets an IP on the wifi.

b) It can browse to the web server that is on the SAME wifi LAN

c) It can ping devices on the SAME wifi LAN.

d) it cannot connect to anything that is NOT on the same lan - eg safari wont browse to google, app store wont connect, youtubs doesn't work etc etc. No data to/from anything NOT on the same LAN.

1. It is running latest 8.3 and yes I have reset network settings

2. All LAN settings are DHCP so it is getting exactly the same settings (DHCP, DNS) as all the other devices (including 2 iphone 4S that are working)

I have spent 25+ years in IT and not seen anything like this. Any ideas?

If the router was stuffed no devices could connect.

If the dns was wrong it would affect everything

If the hardware had failed the wifi wouldn't not work at all.

This is weird.

Al.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 12:05 AM

4 replies

Apr 27, 2015 1:00 AM in response to scubaal

Fixed it. Still no explanation as to WHY it was a problem but here is the fix in the hope it helps someone else.

As I said Wi-Fi was working but *not* routing to external sites. I reset the iphone network settings and restarted several times and restarted the router. All made no difference. All network settings received from the router via DHCP and looked ok in settings on the iphone.

Of course every time the iphone reset it got the same IP from the router DHCP - just because that's generally how DHCP works - there was not a fixed lease......it just gets the same IP if nothing else has it.

So on a whim I added a FIXED DHCP lease to the router for the iphone on a DIFFERENT IP within the same range. Restarted the phone (which made it pick up the lease) and everything started working.

I have no idea why it wasn't working before because every network setting was exactly the same except the IP number - which is just another number on the same subnet. All I can think of is that there was something *Corrupted* (and invisible) in the DHCP response to the phone - and the router just kept sending the same response over and over each time the phone restarted.

Setting a fixed DHCP lease caused the router to build a 'new, clean' DHCP response - and the phone is happy.

Incidentally my daughter (who's phone it is) thinks I am a genius 🙂 - well for a while anyway.

iphone 4S no internet 8.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.