Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why will my Mac Mini not wake up from sleep?

My Mac Mini has developed an annoying problem over the last month. From time to time, say every day or two, it refuses to wake from sleep. I have the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and the Apple Magic Trackpad and pressing or clicking buttons on either of them does not rouse the computer like it usually does. I have to power down and then boot up to get into my Mac again. I have reset the PRAM and the SMC to no avail. What should be my next step?

Mac Mini (mid 2011)-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 12:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 2:15 AM

Perhaps the batteries may be weak or ill-fitting, thus these Bluetooth peripheral devices fail

to sync or work on demand when needed. Some brands of batteries are a tiny bit longer and

as such will stay in contact with the power terminals inside the wireless keyboard and mouse.

And some brands do not last as long as others, including rechargeable types.

{The other battery related to power issues in desktop computers, is the clock battery, and

the Mini has one. Some startup issues may result if that battery gets old or fails; it is not

recharged by the system. The microchip powered by this holds important system info.

A service provider should be able to test & replace the battery on the logic board.}

Both of my Mini computers support bluetooth, but I've never bothered since using USB and

with powered USB hubs, can use most other items with the computers. And when I need to

perform some keyboard shortcut on startup, they are sure to be connected. And if not, I do

have a few spare wired Apple keyboards and mice. These also work when I move one of my

Apple portables to a table and want to use it as a desktop computer. They also support BT

but I do not bother with wireless peripherals, only AirPort base stations, and wi-fi printing

with backup by wire for these, too.

The resets you tried should have helped, if their function was within the range of required

possible results to resolve the issue. The power interrupt reset for Mini models is sort of

unique and can help. Had you looked into the Console utility logs to see what evidence of

a possible source of trouble may be there, by careful looking into exact time & day of issue?

There may be other possible causes of odd behavior with the computer, and it may be advised

to see about having a professional diagnostic test performed. However if the peripheral items

are not also tested with the same vigor, then if they're not ruled out, the mystery will remain.

Do you have spare BT keyboard & mouse? Do you have an Apple USB wired keyboard & mouse?

These may be helpful in troubleshooting some aspects of the issues your Mac Mini exhibits. Any

evidence of issue in the Console logs (and there are several; most are probably unrelated) may be

hard to locate or tell any good or bad cryptic messages apart. Some error messages seem to always

appear in those logs, some do not matter since the system can fix many issues itself. If you wait awhile

perhaps Linc Davis may offer a method of obtaining certain detailed system log files as part of testing

to see what is behind certain issues. I don't really know much about the command-line, and know it

can be a disaster for a novice with little or no depth of information to attempt to use that level of access.

Hopefully the problem is simply resolved by checking the batteries and sync of Bluetooth peripherals.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2015 2:15 AM in response to Maser4055

Perhaps the batteries may be weak or ill-fitting, thus these Bluetooth peripheral devices fail

to sync or work on demand when needed. Some brands of batteries are a tiny bit longer and

as such will stay in contact with the power terminals inside the wireless keyboard and mouse.

And some brands do not last as long as others, including rechargeable types.

{The other battery related to power issues in desktop computers, is the clock battery, and

the Mini has one. Some startup issues may result if that battery gets old or fails; it is not

recharged by the system. The microchip powered by this holds important system info.

A service provider should be able to test & replace the battery on the logic board.}

Both of my Mini computers support bluetooth, but I've never bothered since using USB and

with powered USB hubs, can use most other items with the computers. And when I need to

perform some keyboard shortcut on startup, they are sure to be connected. And if not, I do

have a few spare wired Apple keyboards and mice. These also work when I move one of my

Apple portables to a table and want to use it as a desktop computer. They also support BT

but I do not bother with wireless peripherals, only AirPort base stations, and wi-fi printing

with backup by wire for these, too.

The resets you tried should have helped, if their function was within the range of required

possible results to resolve the issue. The power interrupt reset for Mini models is sort of

unique and can help. Had you looked into the Console utility logs to see what evidence of

a possible source of trouble may be there, by careful looking into exact time & day of issue?

There may be other possible causes of odd behavior with the computer, and it may be advised

to see about having a professional diagnostic test performed. However if the peripheral items

are not also tested with the same vigor, then if they're not ruled out, the mystery will remain.

Do you have spare BT keyboard & mouse? Do you have an Apple USB wired keyboard & mouse?

These may be helpful in troubleshooting some aspects of the issues your Mac Mini exhibits. Any

evidence of issue in the Console logs (and there are several; most are probably unrelated) may be

hard to locate or tell any good or bad cryptic messages apart. Some error messages seem to always

appear in those logs, some do not matter since the system can fix many issues itself. If you wait awhile

perhaps Linc Davis may offer a method of obtaining certain detailed system log files as part of testing

to see what is behind certain issues. I don't really know much about the command-line, and know it

can be a disaster for a novice with little or no depth of information to attempt to use that level of access.

Hopefully the problem is simply resolved by checking the batteries and sync of Bluetooth peripherals.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Apr 24, 2015 2:23 AM in response to K Shaffer

Thanks very much. Your suggestions were most welcome. As you suggested I wanted to rule out there being a Bluetooth problem so I plugged an USB Apple Mouse plugged directly into the Mac Mini but it would not wake the computer. I also unplugged an EyeTV dongle (USB) that is usually plugged directly into the Mini and has a preference set so that it turns on the EyeTV application when the dongle is inserted but that would not wake it either. Any further ideas?

Apr 24, 2015 3:05 AM in response to Maser4055

When the computer is able to run, you could try & see if it can boot so you can access OS X Utilities

and see about the running Apple Diagnostics; or the included version of Apple Hardware Test for

those newer computers that have no media discs (no DVD install-restore software discs) to check

to see if there are indicators which may suggest you should see an Apple authorized service center

or Apple Store with Genius bar, for further testing; something that would check deep into what/why.

Did you try the SMC reset (more than twice) and/or also the NVRAM (PRAM) reset with wired

keyboard and mouse attached?

The options in Apple OS X Recovery and a diagnostic test could be helpful to see if you can find

out if the problem is in hardware or software. There could be a hardware cause to this issue.

However at this hour (2AM here) I'm not really too awake, but thought to acknowledge your question.

And then go offline to see about sleep...! 😝

Apr 24, 2015 9:40 AM in response to Maser4055

Step 1

Take all the applicable steps in this support article. That's the starting point for any further efforts to solve the problem. Please read the whole article carefully and don't skip any of the steps, including the ones under the heading Additional troubleshooting. If you don't understand any of the steps, ask for guidance.

Also note that if you replaced the internal hard drive with an SSD, or if you're starting up from an external SSD, then that device may be causing the problem. Check the SSD manufacturer's website for a firmware update. The only solution may be to reinstall the original drive or avoid sleep altogether.

Step 2

If you're running OS X 10.8.5 or earlier, from the menu bar select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Accessibility

If the checkbox at the bottom marked

Enable access for assistive devices

is checked, uncheck it and test.

If you're running OS X 10.9 or later, select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Security & Privacy ▹ Privacy ▹ Accessibility

If any applications are listed on the right and have a checked box next to them, uncheck all the boxes and test. You may first have to click the padlock icon in the lower left corner of the window and authenticate as an administrator to unlock the settings.

Step 3

In the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences, uncheck the box marked

Put hard disks to sleep when possible

Step 4

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data, then reinstall the OS.* You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need the backup unless something goes wrong. If the system was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you may need the Apple ID and password you used.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it. The same goes for Xcode. All other data will be preserved.

*The linked support article refers to OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite"), but the procedure is the same for OS X 10.7 ("Lion") and later.

Step 5

This and the next step must be taken as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

In the Console window, select

DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION Diagnostic and Usage Messages

In the search box in the window's toolbar, enter "powerd" (without the quotes.)

You may see one or more lines like this:

com.apple.message.signature: Platform Failure

If you do see that, and you did everything in the preceeding steps, then you're dealing with an internal hardware fault. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

Step 6

In the Console window, select

DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION System Diagnostic Reports

(not Diagnostic and Usage Messages) from the log list on the left. If you don't see that heading, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

There is a disclosure triangle to the left of the list item. If the triangle is pointing to the right, click it so that it points down.

You may see one or more reports with a name that begins with "Sleep Wake Failure" followed by a date. Select the most recent one. The contents of the report will appear on the right. Use copy and paste to post the entire contents—the text, not a screenshot.

I know the report is long, maybe several hundred lines. Please post all of it anyway.

Apr 24, 2015 4:24 PM in response to Maser4055

See if it's related to this...

It also seems to be related to later OSX versions, like 10.8.x & 10.9.x

The 2012 macs (and later apparently) (also later OSX versions on earlier Macs can do it also), not waking normally from sleep after hours being in sleep. (noted here ...

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/feb13/022813.html#2012macswontwake

"Why 2012 iMac/2012 Mac Mini won't Wake After Hours of Sleep (Hibernates/Powers Off)")

The sleepimage file still reappears even if never slept. Delete it (hibernate off, etc) - within minutes its back.

A note on that here - http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/Chameleon_SSD_Optimizer.html

About iMac sleep...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1529750

Try this: "sudo pmset autopoweroff 0" and "sudo pmset standby 0"

http://xlr8yourmac.com/archives/sep13/091313.html#10.8.5SleepEjectTip

Two users reported that the opposite worked...

Try this: "sudo pmset autopoweroff 1" and "sudo pmset standby 1"

Why will my Mac Mini not wake up from sleep?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.