Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firewire to Thunderbolt adaptor works... sort of?

Hey Guys

Have been trying to sort this problem for ages. I have a samsung mini dv camera I have used to copy home movies to my computer. Recently had to buy a new iMac and of course, it has no firewire. SO, I've bought the firewire to thunderbolt adaptor and while iMovie is now seeing what the camera is playing - the playback is patchy and blotchy. Any ideas?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 2:02 AM

9 replies

Apr 25, 2015 12:19 PM in response to lynnie61

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by " the playback is patchy and blotchy". Is this when you playback the saved video file from your computer after importing into iMovie or playing the file using Quicktime player?

All I can say is that I have a an Apple thunderbolt to firewire adaptor which works fine and at the expected speed with an external hard drive. I don't have a dv camera though.

Geoff.

May 2, 2015 5:26 AM in response to lynnie61

I just went through this myself. Before I upgraded to Yosemite it was working and I read elsewhere that the latest OS doesn't like to work with Analog tapes. You didn't clarify but I was converting Analog to Digital through various components I had used previously.

After several attempts, what I ended up doing was installing iMovie HD (6) on my machine. When I tried to open it I got a warning that I couldn't run this software on this OS but you can by-pass that. Right click the iMovie HD application icon (instead of double-clicking to open) and select 'show contents'. Navigate down through the folder structure until you see another iMovie HD icon and double-click that. It by-passes the warning message and works great.

I'm now dumping many old tapes onto my machine. I plan to use the resulting .dv files (located under the Movies/Media folders) to edit/use in iMovie 10.

Good luck - hope this helps!!

May 1, 2015 4:09 AM in response to reidei

Hi Reidei! I took my dv camera to work to try it on that iMac that's not on yosemite yet and has an older version of iMovie. It worked no problems using the thunderbolt adapter. Tried it on the newer version of iMovie and it started pixelating and skipping again. So it's the new version of iMovie that is the problem. Thanks for your suggestion - think that's the answer.

Firewire to Thunderbolt adaptor works... sort of?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.