Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong user on updating certain software

Hello.

I'm on my work iMac, and when I try to update some of the apps (Numbers, Keynote, Pages and iMovie) it asks for the previous users password. We did make a user for me, and deleted the old user, as well as I'm signed into the App Store, not him.

I've tried putting Numbers in the Trashcan, but dare not empty it; when I go to app store and find Numbers, it says it costs money, but I should come free with this iMac.

How do I resolve this program, so the apps are using my apple ID instead of the old, deleted one?

Thanks.

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 3:14 AM

1 reply

Apr 24, 2015 9:42 AM in response to Flaboere

This is what happens when business allows folks to set up new Macs with their personal consumer Apple ID. Technically, all the software on that Mac belongs to the previous user. You will need to follow the steps for a 2nd hand Mac and erase it and start over as a new Mac. But it would be better if your company has an IT dept set up and control the Apple IDs used on company Macs.

Preparing a 2nd Hand Mac for use -

You need to erase the HDD, reinstall the version of OS X that shipped from the factory on the Mac and then set it up as new with your own Apple ID.

User Linc Davis explains how a new owner can prepare a 2nd hand Mac for their own use.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6087156?answerId=25468326022#25468326022

Wrong user on updating certain software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.