Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my mac copy all my music

Hey

I am a DJ and I've collected my music in iTunes.
When I open iTunes, I see that I have over 50gigs of songs.
But when I open my 'storage line', it shows me twice as much (over 100gig)User uploaded file

User uploaded file

How and why does my mac make a copy of all of my songs again ?
This is very annoying because I lose a lot of storage now.
How can I delete the copy's without losing my music in iTunes.

Thank you

iTunes-OTHER, Windows Vista, Back up / iTunes / files / vista

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 1:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 8:52 AM

When you add a file to iTunes the application puts a copy of the file in the iTunes Media folder. You may still have the original on your computer somewhere. If you purchase a track from iTunes Store it goes directly into the iTunes Media folder. If you add it by dragging to the Automatically Add To iTunes folder the files gets moved.

If you right click on a track in iTunes > Reveal in Finder it will show you the actual file iTunes will play when you click on a track. If you are correct about your music being duplicated and do a Spotlight search you should discover two copies of a media file, only one actually being used by iTunes. Dispose of the other, and hopefully there's a pattern which means you can dispose of many in one go. Before doing all this though it would be a good idea to back up your computer in case you accidentally get rid of the wrong file.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2015 8:52 AM in response to DOORN_media

When you add a file to iTunes the application puts a copy of the file in the iTunes Media folder. You may still have the original on your computer somewhere. If you purchase a track from iTunes Store it goes directly into the iTunes Media folder. If you add it by dragging to the Automatically Add To iTunes folder the files gets moved.

If you right click on a track in iTunes > Reveal in Finder it will show you the actual file iTunes will play when you click on a track. If you are correct about your music being duplicated and do a Spotlight search you should discover two copies of a media file, only one actually being used by iTunes. Dispose of the other, and hopefully there's a pattern which means you can dispose of many in one go. Before doing all this though it would be a good idea to back up your computer in case you accidentally get rid of the wrong file.

Why does my mac copy all my music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.