Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

app store error "this item is being modified"

I purchased OS X lion for my old school macbook and was given a redeem code. When I try to redeem the code, it tells me "This item is being modified. Please Try Again Later." I've checked internet, did the updates on the computer and nothing seems to make a difference.

I have the 2011 MacBook, the last one with the white plastic case.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 4:33 AM

92 replies

Apr 24, 2015 2:29 PM in response to indiecred

I purchased Mountain Lion and have had the same problem as well, the error code alternates between the one above and "Code Redemption is temporarily unavailable. Try again later"

Except here I am 24 hours later with the same problem. I have dealt with two Senior Technicians at Apple Support and they are clueless as to the solution except that the App Store servers are possibly overloaded by the rollout of the Apple Watch. They told me to try again tomorrow...maybe it will work then, or maybe the next day or next day.....ad infinitum.

Apr 25, 2015 6:19 PM in response to indiecred

Same issue. Finally sent a email to Support. Their auto response indicated they would reply in 24 hours. (not much help).

I did ask for them to be sure the App Store knew of the problem. Thought of the Genius bar, but decided not to try it on a Saturday. Look forward to hear if power user_art had any luck. I know they can install OS 10.8, but I paid for the install code and kinda want to follow procedure.

Apr 25, 2015 6:38 PM in response to hb1200

While I didn't get an answer for why the app store wasn't working... one of the Genius's offered to install Mountain Lion on my computer then and there.

It took about an hour and it's done finally. I recommend making an appointment ahead of time, I was lucky that I was able to get on the schedule on such short notice, I'd like to think it was my well dressed charm... combined with a problem that made everyone say "whaaat?".

Apr 26, 2015 2:05 PM in response to indiecred

I doubt this issue is related to the iwatch roll-out since they aren't available except as a preorder. I've been reading about this issue and it seems it's been happening to people ever since the App Store was released. I ordered some OS software from Apple early on Wednesday and still no software or a response from support.

After four years Apple should have a handle on this issue.

Anyone remember when you would order software, get a link in an email 30 minutes later and boom you're done?

Apr 26, 2015 2:44 PM in response to JayAckroyd

Well I purchased my "Lion" last night and was surprised to have to wait up to 24 hours to down load. Then find out that requires multiple emails and codes. Codes with 0 and Os (ridiculous). And now the App Store is out of order. All this so I can get my time machine "back-up" on my new hard drive. I thought that would be the easiest part of the crash. I'm currently working in Snow Leopard with none of my applications or data. (it's miracle that I had that CD) Now I've had to "buy" Lion because there was no record of me owning it. Good Grief! I just didn't realize you have to have the same OS in order to get your time machine back-up. TIme Machine users beware. I don't think you can walk into an Apple Store and buy Lion on a CD or DVD.

Apr 26, 2015 2:58 PM in response to Andi1859

Was Lion or Snow Leopard installed on your machine when you bought it? There is a way to reinstall the system over the internet, but I think it also involves erasing your hard drive. I did this when I installed Mavericks (big mistake) and tried to go back to Mountain Lion.

I think I had to hold down the option key, or click an extra button or two to make sure it wouldn't install the latest OS instead of the one I wanted. (Made me go over my ISP's usage limit for the month…)

Start here...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Apr 26, 2015 3:20 PM in response to JayAckroyd

No that was my first mistake I installed my original software which was 2008. I believe that was Leopard...not upgradeable according to the Apple Support phone line. I just happened to remember that I had a Leopard Snow in my old software file while I was talking to them on the phone. It has App Store on it. I plan to erase my hard drive again when I finally get to my time machine back-up. It appears this is yet another way to curtail software piracy.

Apr 26, 2015 8:45 PM in response to indiecred

Ended up going to the Apple Store and, as usual, the Genius team assisted me and installed the software for me. I took my redeem code and this "thread" along to show I purchased the OS. I am disappointed that I have not yet hear back from Support (via email). The confirmation indicated something like 24 hours... but that has passed. Thank goodness for Apple Retail. The girl I was helping got her computer, and is on her way to her new home. Over and out.

Apr 27, 2015 6:23 AM in response to indiecred

Well I got a response from iTunes store support that gave me a number to call. The robot at the AppleCare Technical Support team asked me a bunch of questions and then told me I would have to buy a $35.00 Applecare package if I wanted to speak with someone.

This is quite a shakedown. I'll cost me $35.00 to gain access to my $25.00 software package.

Thanks Apple.

app store error "this item is being modified"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.