Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network key

Updated my mid 2009 MacBook Pro OS to Version 10.10.3 Yosemite. I Recently moved and have a new internet provider (Comcast) and purchased my own modem (Motorola Surfboard) Everything is operating as it should. I am having a problem getting a new Brother printer connected wirelessly. As part of the setup the network key is needed. I tried every possible way to locate that info and I am still coming up empty. I am using a AirPort Extreme router. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), AirPort Extreme

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 5:25 AM

1 reply

Apr 24, 2015 8:11 AM in response to onebadcookie

The network "key" is simply your normal wireless network password, also called a passphrase or passkey.

If you have already tried that, and the printer will not connect......check the name of the wireless network that the AirPort Extreme is providing. Some manufacturers require that the wireless network name be very simple for their devices to join. So, you want the name of the wireless network to be.....

Short, no more than 10-12 characters is best. No more than 20 maximum

Use only normal letters and numbers in the name (No apostrophes, dollar signs, asterisks, etc in the name)

No blank spaces in the name

For example, a wireless network name like.......Onebadcookie's Red Apple Wireless Network......will really limit the ability of devices from other manufacturers to connect to the network.

Instead, try something like......Obcwireless.....and use the same rules above for your wireless network password as well

Network key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.