Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

manage multiple folders add metadata advanced Q

I am not a beginner but iTunes makes me feel like one. I could rant but would rather find a solution and be done with it.

Windows 8 itunes 12

New laptop and fragmented folders full of music on 2 external drives plus lots of newly ripped WAV files on external drive to be imported as MP3.

I am willing to completely remove everything from the laptop and start over if there is a comprehensive method.

This is exasperating to me Im not even sure I can explain it. All advice makes things easy - as long as you let itunes control consolidation of everything and you dont dare move a file around or care about the format. Then you get "what you asked for, but not what you want".

I want all my music into one folder on my laptop, everything in MP3 format, organized in iTunes, so I can use this large library on my portables, and back up easily to its own folder on the external drive, while retaining the formats separately on an external backup. BUT I dont want to import WAV FLAC etc files and then convert to MP3 and then delete duplicates, although I have found a fast workaround. FURTHERMORE I have ripped a lot of my old vinyl, which is in yet another folder on the external drive in WAV format which I want to import directly as MP3, find all songs on same album, and add info manually . There is no metadata, only the song name. I need a way to do this for all xx songs on the same album. My test import of 3 different albums grouped all the songs together with the same date stamp and I cannot tell which belongs to which. Can I at least bring them in orderly to select groups for adding info?

One more thing. There are at least two locations that are being pointed to:

Path : c:\users\Myname\music\itunes\itunesmusic\ AND in a subfolder

C:\users\Myname\music\itunes\itunesmusic\ music (which was fresh stuff added)

If I move all the album folders from the second into the first manually, ITunes wont be able to locate them. I want everything in the first location, or a new simpler one I can create. Thanks for helping the ignorant. There has to be a simple way to accomplish this without a week of manually clicking a mouse.

Windows laptop-OTHER, Windows 8

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 7:14 AM

9 replies

Apr 27, 2015 8:42 PM in response to turingtest2

Artist and/or Album not codes. The .wav (from vinyl) folders (using Golden Records software), were ripped into mostly album subfolders, and some artist subfolders with multiple albums within those. I of course had to name each track manually. Some of those records are one-off odd recordings for which the artist and album name were a sufficient folder title. Example: Don Peachys polka party.

Itunes wants something else? When I test imported, then manually selected 10 songs that belonged together and 'added multiple info' while in itunes, that new info appeared in the folder on the drive too.

I can create a structured music library creating correct subfolders and drag and dropping.

Thanks in advance

Apr 28, 2015 4:05 AM in response to Twangshui

Some of the things you say you want in your original post are not possible, but there should be a way to add your content to your library and bring it into some kind of order.

iTunes has two settings that define the behaviour when content is added to the library. Enable the menu bar if necessary with Ctrl+B then use Edit > Preferences > Advanced. The Keep... option tells iTunes to rearrange files inside the media folder when tag information changes, or if necessary when adding files to the library that are already inside the media folder. Copy... tells it to make copies of any files that are outside the media folder.

If iTunes copies or moves files added that are in .wav format, then they end up in the Unknown Artist\Unknown Album folder with their original filename, which becomes the track name. If you disable both Keep... and Copy... options you can safely add the content to the library without changing the filepaths. Once that it done you can use a script called TagFromFilename to fill in the details from the path. It expects to find tracks in the following format:

..\<Album Artist>\<Album>\[D-]## <Name>[ - <Artist].<Ext>

where [D-] is an optional leading disc number, and [ - <Artist>] allows for an optionally different artist when the artist isn't the same as the album artist.

Once you have the songs catalogued in iTunes with the correct metadata you can convert to Apple Lossless or AIFF, both of which carry a full tag to preserve the data and are also lossless formats, or you can convert to mp3 at your preferred bitrate. I would suggest you start with your .wav files located outside of the media folder, then any converted files will be created inside it, and it will be easy to remove the links to the originals once the conversions are complete. You can then archive the originals in case you ever need to revisit them, particularly if you are going to convert to mp3 since this is a lossy format.

See the user tip Make a split library portable for some background on the usual layout of an iTunes library, and how to rearrange things if they aren't in the standard form.

tt2

Apr 28, 2015 5:49 AM in response to turingtest2

You da MAN (er - unless you are female) I only read through quickly this looks like what I need. Ill do my homework and give it a try. Very very helpful thanks so much. Two immediate clarifications please:

"I would suggest you start with your .wav files located outside of the media folder, then any converted files will be created inside it, and it will be easy to remove the links to the originals once the conversions are complete"

Removing the links to the originals - not sure about the 'easy' way. Ive ended up with duplicates when doing conversions, which one is the .wav to remove? . Is that the reason for unchecking the boxes? Only one converted copy left in the database?

And

..\<Album Artist>\<Album>\[D-]## <Name>[ - <Artist].<Ext>

If one of the first two variables is missing, as mine are, will it assign 'unknown' to one of them but still put the folder name in the other? That would be sufficient for now. Might be worth creating proper structure manually first...thanks again

Apr 28, 2015 7:12 AM in response to Twangshui

The reason for unchecking the boxes (one would do depending on where the files are when you start) is to prevent iTunes from discarding the information in the filepath that we want the script to have access to later. Once iTunes has the correct information about artist/album artist, album, track/disc numbers and track name then it doesn't matter. When your library is fully organized you will probably want both options set again.

Sorting by date added lets you import a bunch of tracks, convert them and then locate the imports for removing. Alternatively add the files you are going to convert to a playlist before the conversion, then in that playlist use Ctrl+A to select all items, and Shift+Delete to remove them from the playlist and the library at the same time. You can also expose the file kind in the songs list so you can see which tracks are in which format or make smart playlists to capture those with specific properies.

The script simply takes the two folders above the media file and assigns the lower one as the album name, and the one above that as the album artist and also the artist unless the is a trailling value in the track name. You can either correct beforehand or make sense of the album artist called something like Wav Albums after the fact. If all of your albums were in, say, \<Album Artist> - <Album>\ folders I might have suggested making a tweak to the script, but if there is some inconsistency now then it is probably best if you manually sort things into an appropriate structure.

tt2

May 18, 2015 1:26 PM in response to turingtest2

Cheers! I want to report SUCCESS and if others are reading this thread, add a tip. Should I re-tick those Keep and Copy boxes for other acticvity like burning CDs or purchasing from the store?

I took your advice, checked all the vinyl I had burned into folders, and manually corrected to create a file structure following the path you describe, basically a folder with artist name, and a subfolder with album name. Then it was easy to import all at once, apply your script which properly labeled the music instead of lumping everything into 'unknown artist/album'. When I burn new vinyl now I save with that path from the start and its ready to go. I figure I spent an hour doing what would have taken days of frustrating manual conversion.

Tip: Once its all in there, you can easily find all the new .wav files by choosing playlist 'Recently Added' , highlight all, and use itunes to convert to MP3 (in my instance) via > Edit > Create MP3 version. Now you have duplicate files. Right Click on the column headings bar and add 'Kind' to the visible columns which reveals the .XYZ file extension. You can sort by the extension, find and and highlight all the wav or FLAC or whatever files you started with, and delete them. Since I started with them on a backup drive they are still available but not taking up space on the laptop or the portables.

Another method I saw was to sort by creation date, choosing the inversion of the newest files.

Many thanks.

May 18, 2015 2:21 PM in response to Twangshui

New iTunes downloads, rips or conversions will automatically go into the standard layout. If you're going to carry on ripping to vinyl first then leave at least one of the options off depending on where you are placing the files that you are going to import to iTunes. Ripping to AIFF or Apple Lossless could possibly save some effort on reapplying metadata.

tt2

manage multiple folders add metadata advanced Q

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.