Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MAC crashed a few months ago and now it does not sync libraries between iTunes and my iphone5. It does download new purchases to the phone, but I cannot work with any library on my iPhone. Any ideas?

My MAC crashed a few months ago and now it does not sync libraries between iTunes and my iphone5. It does download new purchases to the phone, but I cannot work with any library on my iPhone. Any ideas?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 9:40 AM

Please describe what you mean by "crashed" and what remedies were undertaken. For me "crash" means everything from a need to restart the computer because the system has temporarily locked (which happens to me once a week and has no carry-over) to a catastrophic hard drive failure.

What exactly happens when you try to sync? Error message?

If I have to make a guess I will say I think you needed to rebuild your iTunes library and you phone is complaining about not recognizing the iTunes library for syncing and wants to erase content. You will need to restore your library from the backup you make of your computer knowing some day a crash will occur, or you will need to re-sync you phone to the new library.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2015 9:40 AM in response to jcb0822

Please describe what you mean by "crashed" and what remedies were undertaken. For me "crash" means everything from a need to restart the computer because the system has temporarily locked (which happens to me once a week and has no carry-over) to a catastrophic hard drive failure.

What exactly happens when you try to sync? Error message?

If I have to make a guess I will say I think you needed to rebuild your iTunes library and you phone is complaining about not recognizing the iTunes library for syncing and wants to erase content. You will need to restore your library from the backup you make of your computer knowing some day a crash will occur, or you will need to re-sync you phone to the new library.

Apr 24, 2015 9:44 AM in response to Limnos

It crashed when it prompted me to update the OS, it never downloaded correctly, it stayed in the download mode for 3 days, then it aborted and I had to reinstall all programs. My iTunes library was imported from my phone and also from iTunes Match, iTunes match is now expired. After everything was reinstalled my Mac runs properly, no issues whatsoever, beside the problem with iTunes.

Apr 26, 2015 3:40 PM in response to Limnos

When I plug in my iPhone iTunes opens and runs the sync. All songs purchased on iTunes on my Mac will download to the iPhone. when I click on the iPhone libraries they are all grayed out. I can play them, but no songs can be added or moved on the iPhone. Even a song or playlist from my mac library cannot be added to a library on the iPhone. there are no error messages at all. And I think all the songs and libraries were automatically imported to the mac library after the crash and I think all songs purchased were just added to the same libraries.

May 16, 2015 6:17 AM in response to jcb0822

When I plug in my iPhone iTunes opens and runs the sync. All songs purchased on iTunes on my Mac will download to the iPhone. when I click on the iPhone libraries they are all grayed out. I can play them, but no songs can be added or moved on the iPhone. Even a song or playlist from my mac library cannot be added to a library on the iPhone. there are no error messages at all. And I think all the songs and libraries were automatically imported to the mac library after the crash and I think all songs purchased were just added to the same libraries.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.