Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am unable to update my album art since I commenced using match (and after upgrading to Yosemite). How can I 'unembed' old cover art and replace?

I am unable to update my album art on my iMac since I started using Match (and after upgrading to Yosemite 10.10.3). A message advises that it's not possible to removed old artwork if it's embedded. How can I 'unembed' old cover art and replace?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Match

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 6:16 AM

4 replies

Apr 24, 2015 8:58 AM in response to Ozbecs

Normally artwork recovered with iTunes is stored as a separate artwork file and iTunes refers to that file to display artwork when you click on a track. However, if you then copy the file to another player the artwork file is left behind and the track will not display the artwork on the other player. To get around this it is possible to embed the artwork in the music file itself so it always travels with the file. Artwork can be embedded by you or files from third party sources may arrive with embedded artwork. iTunes apparently now won't replace artwork for such files. You can accomplish this by completely deleting artwork for a file or set of files in Get Info, then getting iTunes to fetch artwork which will then be set as a reference file rather than being embedded.

I use an old iTunes so unless you are using an ancient iTunes it won't help for me to give you great details. To erase artwork I simply get info on a series of files and check the box next to the artwork box without adding any artwork and close. To do it for single file I Get Info, go to the artwork display tab and click delete. Here's a Windows reference for a newer iTunes (but the "old Get Info" reference is for early iTunes 12 and no longer works with newer):I cannot delete embedded album artwork in iTunes 12

Apr 24, 2015 10:30 AM in response to Limnos

Thank you for responding so quickly Limnos. I did most of my CD scanning and uploading into the old iTunes but with the Yosemite upgrade I did recently I now have the new iTunes. It is different but I think you've helped me crack the mystery. For future reference if anyone has the same problem, delete is not an option in Get Info, but you can right click and it comes up as an option.

Thanks a bunch for your help! Fingers crossed the new artwork will stick this time (I'll be back if it doesn't work).

Cheers!

Apr 24, 2015 2:25 PM in response to Ozbecs

I am dubious you cannot bulk delete artwork as many people have had problems with the new iTunes until they found they could do something after all, it just changed a bit, but then I am not running it so I can't say for sure.

Check the Dougscripts website for a script which will bulk delete artwork.

I am unable to update my album art since I commenced using match (and after upgrading to Yosemite). How can I 'unembed' old cover art and replace?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.