Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I identify a dead Apple cable via software?

I bought supposedly genuine Apple lightning cables from a third party and they're misbehaving. One works with my iPhone 6 but not with my iPad Mini Retina, one works but only if I pull it out of the mini slightly, and one is completely inert.

They pass all the tests on Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories - Apple Support. So it seems genuine.

Is there any way I can plug these into my MacBook and verify that these are genuine (and not dead)?

iPhone 6, iOS 1.x, 64GB T-Mobile

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 7:37 AM

1 reply

Apr 24, 2015 8:55 AM in response to James Hardiman

I would guess they are not genuine although have you checked the lightning port to ensure there is no debris fluff etc contaminating the connections

I have a wide selection of lightning cables they all came either with an Apple device in the box from an Apple retail Store or Apple online or from an Apple retail Store as an accessory and whilst any packaging meets the criteria, none ,including the unused one still in the iPhone 6 box ( from Apple online,) have any markings on the actual cable or connectors whatsoever ....................

Apple shipping me counterfeit cables ???I somehow I doubt it

Can I identify a dead Apple cable via software?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.