Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

miniDV to AppleTV

Any thoughts on the best workflow where the end result is that I can watch a whole MiniDV sourced tape on AppleTV (unedited) at best possible quality AND be able to edit it if I feel like it in a few years. I have about 30 tapes that once were archived with FCPX, but I never bought FCPX (could do so if it will save me time or enhance quality), but prefer to work in iMovie or Quicktime 7 Pro so I am not committed to paying for FCP down the road. I also have the camcorder and tapes still and I'd be willing to reimport if needed, but it would be great if I could use the archived "tapes".

Can I import the FCPX archives into iMovie 10 or do I need to re-import the tapes into iMovie 10? Then I'd have to create a project for every 'tape' and share to iTunes to view on AppleTV.

Are there any quality benefits from using FCPX vs iMovie for this purpose?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 8:35 AM

You can't open the archive in iMovie. You can either download the trial version of FCPX, which might be a good idea so you can assess the application for yourself and whether you need it, or you can open the camera archive. You can either open the archive with the trial version, or you can right-click on it and use Show Package Contents and root out the archived DV files.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2015 8:35 AM in response to anderskam

You can't open the archive in iMovie. You can either download the trial version of FCPX, which might be a good idea so you can assess the application for yourself and whether you need it, or you can open the camera archive. You can either open the archive with the trial version, or you can right-click on it and use Show Package Contents and root out the archived DV files.

Apr 24, 2015 8:35 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks for confirming I cannot open/process the archives in iMovie.

I already used my free trial of FCPX so next step will be to either buy FCPX or figure out how to use iMovie going forward.

If I buy FCPX I assume it's pretty straightforward to import from the FCPX archives (.mov files) rather than getting the camcorder and tapes out again. I assume I need to do it per archived tape though and there is no batch process, correct?

If I go down that route, I'd also need to create a project for every tape to be able to ultimately watch it as one long video (per tape) on the AppleTV. Is that the way to go about it and I'll be able to view that on AppleTV in the best possible quality by sharing to iTunes? If so, how straightforward is that for someone not used to FCPX? Do I need to use custom settings to maximize the viewing quality on AppleTV since this content is interlaced or will FCPX and sharing to iTunes take care of that automatically?

Thanks in advance!

Apr 24, 2015 9:33 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks again. I assume that means I'd need to recapture the tapes if I want to use Handbrake.

Let's assume I decide to buy FCPX. Is there an easy way to 'import' the FCPX archives I already did, or do I need to import them one 'tape' at a time from the archive?

Once I do the import and have all these tapes in FCPX and put them all into projects are there any settings I need to change when exporting to iTunes to maximize quality on the AppleTV given the interlaced source?

Apr 24, 2015 10:01 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

you said:l REally easy to import archives into FCPX. They're designed for the application.

-- Since I have about 30 FCPX archived tapes - do I need to import them one by one or can I 'move' all of them over to FCPX and start working with them?

you said: There is an AppleTV export function from FCP

-- And that maximizes quality even for interlaced DV sourced content? Just import, create project, export to AppleTV without any other settings or intermediate steps due to the interlaced content?

Thanks again.

miniDV to AppleTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.