Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

miniDV to AppleTV

Any thoughts on the best workflow where the end result is that I can watch a whole MiniDV sourced tape on AppleTV (unedited) at best possible quality AND be able to edit it if I feel like it in a few years. I have about 30 tapes that once were archived with FCPX, but I never bought FCPX (could do so if it will save me time or enhance quality), but prefer to work in iMovie or Quicktime 7 Pro so I am not committed to paying for FCP down the road. I also have the camcorder and tapes still and I'd be willing to reimport if needed, but it would be great if I could use the archived "tapes".

Can I import the FCPX archives into iMovie 10 or do I need to re-import the tapes into iMovie 10? Then I'd have to create a project for every 'tape' and share to iTunes to view on AppleTV.

Are there any quality benefits from using FCPX vs iMovie for this purpose.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 7:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2017 8:47 AM

I tried using QT7 Pro and Compressor for this yesterday using the Recording Preferences set Device Quality to Native. Using MediaInfo I see the resulting MOV file captured by QT7 is described as a DV format and has the expected size (very large). Compressor is fast to convert and is well configurable. I still need to try the results on Apple TV but seems like a good work process to me. Note the QT7 captured MOV is not sliced into individual clips (unlike FCP X which separates clips and sorts by each original clip capture time - which was a disaster for my "out of date sorted" edited sequences that were backed up to miniDV, QT7 Pro capturing a continuous clip is much better for what I am trying to do).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2017 8:47 AM in response to anderskam

I tried using QT7 Pro and Compressor for this yesterday using the Recording Preferences set Device Quality to Native. Using MediaInfo I see the resulting MOV file captured by QT7 is described as a DV format and has the expected size (very large). Compressor is fast to convert and is well configurable. I still need to try the results on Apple TV but seems like a good work process to me. Note the QT7 captured MOV is not sliced into individual clips (unlike FCP X which separates clips and sorts by each original clip capture time - which was a disaster for my "out of date sorted" edited sequences that were backed up to miniDV, QT7 Pro capturing a continuous clip is much better for what I am trying to do).

miniDV to AppleTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.