Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I hate this new Photos!

I had already spent hours multiple times to get all my photos sorted. I have traveled all over the world and have thousands of pics, also have Faces set up with those locations. Now, after this latest update, everything has totally changed and I am so angry I could scream or choke someone! What can I do to get the iPhoto back and get rid of this update?

Thanks for the help if there is any hope left.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 8:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 8:46 AM

Nothing to "get back" - iPhoto is in your applications folder - launch and use it - no reason in the world to use a program you hate

LN

59 replies

Apr 24, 2015 9:12 AM in response to dynasg2009

iPhoto and Aperture are no longer available for Yosemite users. They have also been pulled from the App Store. Instead of these two apps, Apple has released new Photos for OS X app, which is a replacement. One possible way to use iPhoto is to downgrade your operating system.

If you previously purchased iPhoto, it should be in your App Store Purchases list. If you don’t see it. it may be under Hidden Purchases. You can try downloading it from there. That's another way out.

If you haven't erased your hard drive before installing Yosemite, you may also try to locate it on your Mac.

Apr 24, 2015 8:49 AM in response to D.Cohen

iPhoto and Aperture are no longer available for Yosemite users. They have also been pulled from the App Store. Instead of these two apps, Apple has released new Photos for OS X app, which is a replacement. One possible way to use iPhoto is to downgrade your operating system.

Incorrect - no need to downgrade anything - just use iPhoto (or Aperture if that is your previous program) They are not removed but are still in the applications folder - just use them and move forward until an OS upgrade breaks them which will happen someday

LN

Apr 24, 2015 8:56 AM in response to dynasg2009

What can I do to get the iPhoto back and get rid of this update?

Which iPhoto version do you have installed? If it is iPhoto 9.6.1, simply launch it.

If it is an earlier version, you need to update to version 9.6.1. Only, the updates page of the AppStore will no longer show the update. The only way to install the update is to reinstall iPhoto.

Make sure, iPhoto is showing on the Purchases tab of the App Store. You may need to unhide it, as D.Cohen mentioned.

See: Mac App Store: Hiding and unhiding purchases

• If you are seeing iPhoto on the Purchases page, move the currently installed version from the Applications folder to the Trash. Don't empty the Trash yet.
  • Reload the Purchases page of the AppStore by pressing ⌘R .
  • Then try to reinstall from that page.

May 6, 2015 8:25 PM in response to BarryVivie

What's the point of Apple if you are trying to make everything difficult to use like windows? Who's doing all the app upgrade can you please come out read all the comments please? This is ridiculous!!!

You are not addressing Apple here. We are just other customers like you. See the link below and you can communicate to Apple and let your voice be heard.

As mentioned by others above you can continue using iPhoto or Aperture. Moreover, you can try third-party photo editing/organizing programs. Some consider "Lyn" a good replacement for iPhoto. Some consider "Capture One" as a replacement for Aperture, both can be tried free for 30 days.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html

May 11, 2015 9:50 PM in response to dynasg2009

Well I tried going to applications and it's sitting there but it has like a no smoking sign over it and can't be opened. It says to go to the app store but then it tells you it's not available. So not quite so simple as just finding it and using it. Not happy, this is my work computer and I use it to record all my students artwork, this new photos has just increased my work load. Not a happy camper!

May 11, 2015 9:54 PM in response to TeeArt01

It says to go to the app store but then it tells you it's not available. So not quite so simple as just finding it and using it.

You can no longer buy iPhoto from the App Store anywhere, and also not update it from the "Updates" tab of the App Store. You can however reinstall it, if it is showing among your Purchases at the App Store and associated with your AppleID.

Sign into the App Store and look at the Purchases tab. If you do not see iPhoto there, try to unhide your Purchases as described on this page: Hide and unhide purchases in the Mac App Store - Apple Support

If iPhoto shows on your Purchases tab, reinstall as described in this User Tip:

Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS... | Apple Support Communities

The main idea is to move the incompatible iPhoto app to the Trash, so Spotlight does not see it as installed, reload the App Store by pressing ⌘R, and then to try to download again from the App Store - from your Purchases tab, not from the main page, since you can neither buy iPhoto nor update it, but you can reinstall, if your AppleID is associated with it.

So move iPhoto to the Trash (don't empty the Trash), relaunch the App Store. The button to the right if iPhoto should change to Install on the "Purchases" tab.

I hate this new Photos!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.