Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV problems connecting to school network

I have been crippled in the use of AppleTV on our district network. I can connect with my personal iPad on airplay but my students can no longer connect to airplay. The following is my latest response from our tech dept. Please advise on possible ways to fix this.

Not sure what the "free" solution was to this but I find it hard to believe that Apple, with its commitment to education, would not design a product that is not usable on a network.

thanks

Michelle

User uploaded file

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 8.2

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 8:03 AM

2 replies

Apr 24, 2015 9:32 AM in response to meichelberger

It's hard to know for sure what the problem is without knowing the specifics of the network, and I don't know if your employer will let you divulge the info that would be needed to get help here.

A couple things come to mind though:

1) If part of the complexity of the network has to do with having multiple IP subnets (could explain further, but I'll leave it at that for now) only devices on the subnet with the Apple TV will be able to use it - without some further work done by the router(s) between the subnets.

2) The differentiation between the "secured" network and "BYOD" (which I assume is Bring Your Own Device) sounds a lot like the Guest Network feature on my ASUS router (and some others). Anyone who attaches to the Guest network can get out to the greater Internet but will not have access to other devices on the local network. So if someone is on my (unprotected) Guest network, they can't do AirPlay to the Apple TV, but I can because I am on the password-protected network where the Apple TV is.

AppleTV problems connecting to school network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.