Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CD albums in iTunes (12.1.2.27) won't load to iPad - gets file type not supported message

I just updated to iTunes 12.1.2.27 and synced to my iPad, but all of my CD albums that are in iTunes on a mac-mini (Yosemite 10.10.3) won't sync now. A sample message is:

"song title" was not copied because the file type is not supported by the iPad "my iPad name"

There where a hundred songs on the list. My iPad is on IOS 8.3. I have never had this problem before. Songs purchased from iTunes store are there, but not my own CDs.

Has anyone seen this problem before? What is the solution?

Rolf

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 4:20 PM

Problem solved! Apparently way back in November of last year I made a copy of the iTunes library on my time machine backup disk manually. I just created the folder on the drive. This was because I was updating the system and did not trust anything to work properly afterwards. The iTunes folder was sitting on that drive and iTunes (for reasons I don't understand) started using parts of it. I noticed this when I tried to play one of the songs from my CD albums. The backup disk would mount and spin up and play the song from there.

By the way the iTunes preferences were set to look at the iTunes library on my mac-mini system disk not the backup drive. Why it went to that backup drive I will never know. Anyway I renamed the iTunes folder to something else on the backup drive. Now when I play a song from an album it goes to the proper iTunes library (the one on my mac-mini disk). Subsequent to this fix a sync to the iPad copied my albums properly with no error.

Rolf

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2015 4:20 PM in response to rolfgs

Problem solved! Apparently way back in November of last year I made a copy of the iTunes library on my time machine backup disk manually. I just created the folder on the drive. This was because I was updating the system and did not trust anything to work properly afterwards. The iTunes folder was sitting on that drive and iTunes (for reasons I don't understand) started using parts of it. I noticed this when I tried to play one of the songs from my CD albums. The backup disk would mount and spin up and play the song from there.

By the way the iTunes preferences were set to look at the iTunes library on my mac-mini system disk not the backup drive. Why it went to that backup drive I will never know. Anyway I renamed the iTunes folder to something else on the backup drive. Now when I play a song from an album it goes to the proper iTunes library (the one on my mac-mini disk). Subsequent to this fix a sync to the iPad copied my albums properly with no error.

Rolf

CD albums in iTunes (12.1.2.27) won't load to iPad - gets file type not supported message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.