Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion 5.2 Callouts

I'm working on a project that needs to use call-outs that track an object so I'm working in Motion 5.2. I have the motion tracking sorted but the call out is proving difficult as there doesn't seem to be any in the library and I'm not really sure where to start creating one. I thought there might be a nice selection of pre-built callouts available for Motion but there appears to be nothing. I see FxFactory for FCPX but compared to the callouts available to After Effects users (http://videohive.net/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&term=call+outs&view=list&sort=&date=& category=after-effects-project-files%2Fi…) Motion seems to be lacking in this area....

Am I missing something? Perhaps there's some way of easily creating an animated callout that would be able to leverage motion tracking.

Any help greatly appreciated as at the moment I'm thinking of perhaps moving from Motion to After Effects as this is a core part of my work requirements.I love Motion though so don't want to change if I can avoid it.

Thanks!

Motion 5, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010)

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 9:09 AM

7 replies

Apr 24, 2015 2:04 PM in response to Thomas Rowe

Hi Thomas

Thanks, as per my post I've had a look at these but they seem (how shall I put it without being rude to Ripple Training), very basic and rather comical in quality compared to the one's for After Effects.

Also this appears to only work for FCPX but I want to use them in Motion. Is that possible? I've tried but I get told that they are locked and only available in FCPX...?

Thanks!

Apr 25, 2015 12:22 AM in response to cydaps

I just watched a few of the Callouts, but that with the lines is easily to re-enact in Motion5

(not as easy as a ready-made plug-in, for sure 😉 )

User uploaded file

ahh,I'm no good in making anim.gif ... anyhow:

Step #1

User uploaded file

this is inspired by this a tutorial from Mark Spencer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kaj969r7t9I

one group is the video, another the Callout

the lines are a bezier, the dots have to be images! not shapes

Step #2

User uploaded file

apply the Behavior TrackPoints, in the well drag the red point at your subject, and uncheck the two points in the bezier you don't want to move

If you want to move the whole call-out you should create keyframes for the group first,

Step #3

And then apply keyframes to the dot which should stick to the subject...

User uploaded file

The whole trick is to lock the not-moving-parts of the bezier...

Apr 27, 2015 1:26 AM in response to cydaps

cydaps wrote:

.... thank you so much for taking the time to illustrate this in detail. .

You're welcome and glad you like it...🙂

I'm recording lots of sports, and any kind 'highlighting' is a most-wanted effect ....

So, I had it ready-made in my quiver ....

I'm actually trying to make this a plug-in... and as always, I 'wrestle' with the OnScreenControls, I'm following two excellent tutorials word by word - and it doesn't come out as I need it LOL Me no engineer.....

... When If I manage that, I'll post here a link to The Depository akafcp.co ...

Apr 27, 2015 10:16 AM in response to cydaps

I uploaded a plug-in at

http://www.fcp.co/forum/generators/23254-callout-dotlinedot#63690

User uploaded file

you can change a few parameters in the Inspector, you have two OnScreenControls, and you can apply keyframes.

I have to admit: there's a minor flaw in User Experience when applying keyframes to the Players Dot. No idea how to fix that. Just move the playhead a bit, and everything is instantly within normal parameters...;)

Motion 5.2 Callouts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.