Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook air won't easily turn on

Hi Guys and Girls,

I have a mid 2013 macbook air 13.3", 4GB i5 1.3GHz, and it sometimes does not turn on, especially after I leave it turned off or sleeping for several hours (for instance, when I'm sleeping). It will only turn on after many attempts pressing the power button. In some occasions,

When it does turn on, the sound presents some issues, it won't play music and videos properly. It will only normalize after I turn it off and on back again. it will also turn off unexpectedly while in use, sometimes.

I took it to the closest authorized Apple service provider and first they told me it was some problem with the energy controller, and they reseted it. I took it back home, and the same problem happened again. I took there for more 3 times, and they can not find the problem, since they argue that my hardware is perfectly fine. In fact, they told that except for the first time I took there, my computer was working fine in their office and all the tests they were doing were ok.

I don't know what to do, did anybody have a similar problem?

Sorry for the loooong text and for some possible errors in grammar!

Thanks 😀

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 5:22 PM

Install or Reinstall OS X from Scratch

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your startup volume (usually Macintosh HD) from the

left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Optionally, click on

the Security button and set the Zero Data option to one-pass. Click on

the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should install the version of OS X that you had installed.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2015 5:22 PM in response to Victorccb

Install or Reinstall OS X from Scratch

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your startup volume (usually Macintosh HD) from the

left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Optionally, click on

the Security button and set the Zero Data option to one-pass. Click on

the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should install the version of OS X that you had installed.

Apr 24, 2015 5:35 PM in response to Linc Davis

Yes, I made a video of the problem and showed them. When I got my computer back from the Apple service provider ( I don't have a Apple Store nearby :/), the computer worked perfectly fine during that day and the problem appeared again on the next. The last time I got it back (I took the Macbook there 3 times), the computer was working ok for one week and last night it would not turn on...and then it turned on, after some insistence ( I reset PRAM and SMC and none seemed to work really). This morning I had the same problem, and it turned on, again after some insistence. I reinstalled the OS like "Kappy" oriented and so far, so good...I hope it works 😕

Macbook air won't easily turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.