Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't upload iTunes content to my iPod

For the past several months, every time I try to add content to my iPod Classic, I get a message asking if I want to delete my content. I don't want to delete anything. Also when I tried to post this message on another thread the support community misidentified me as somebody who was banned.

iTunes-OTHER, iOS 8.1

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 11:43 AM

16 replies

Apr 24, 2015 12:02 PM in response to Dan the VG Man

How are trying to add the content to it ? If syncing, as opposed to dragging-and-dropping in iTunes (e.g. on the current version of iTunes, selecting/hightlighting the music, and then dragging it over towards the left-hand side of the iTunes screen where a sidebar should appear showing the iPod allowing you to drop the music onto it), then is that the computer that you synced the current content on the iPod from, and are you including that content in your sync selection ?

For the banned id, after trying to post and getting the error message did you have to log back in ? If you were still logged in then logging and back in should clear the error. There are a number of 'features' on these forums, that is one of them.

Apr 24, 2015 12:38 PM in response to Dan the VG Man

What version of iTunes are you using ? With the current version, iTunes 12, if you have a device connected to it then you should be able to select/highlight music in the My Music part of your library and drag it over to the left-hand side of iTunes and a sidebar should appear for you to drop it on. My reference to being logged in was for not being able to post on here, not for copying content to an iPod

Apr 24, 2015 12:57 PM in response to King_Penguin

Maybe it should, but I can't seem to make the sidebar show up intentionally, and when I am able to make it show up dragging material off to the sidebar doesn't do anything for me.

I never said logging on had anything to do with whether I could add content to my iPod or not. I just said this was another problem.

For the record, I have iTunes 12, or one of it's variants.

Apr 24, 2015 1:14 PM in response to Dan the VG Man

For the music that is currently on the iPod, is that the computer that you used to sync it to it ? Or are you trying to change to use a different computer ?

Manage content manually on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod - Apple Support :

You might see a message that your device is synced with another library. This means that you've used a different computer to sync your device in the past, and iTunes can't sync without first erasing and replacing all iTunes content on your device.

When I drag music over to the left-hand side so that the sidebar appears and hold it over my device, the device gets highlighted (this is on the computer that I use to sync the device to) :

User uploaded file

Apr 24, 2015 2:18 PM in response to King_Penguin

It's a mix of former computers and my current computer, but none of this is relevant, because I only started getting this problem during the Winter of 2014-2015.

And I saw no message telling me that my device is synced to another library, but I still can't add anything on my iPod without the message asking me if I want to remove content.

Apr 25, 2015 1:37 PM in response to Dan the VG Man

The iTunes Store community is really for issues with the iTunes Store rather than iTunes in general or device specific topics. I asked for the thread to be moved. The grayn280 warning seems to result form an occasional forum time out error, it can be ignored, but if you've taken a long time composing it may best to copy your post, or check you are signed in from another tab, just in case.

In the meantime see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device if there is content on the device that isn't in your library. You don't want to be in that position.

Perhaps if had been dealt with at the time it first happend then method in Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash might have proved useful. Somewhere along the line it seems iTunes no longer sees the current library as the home library for the device, and it may be as easy now to move forwards as backwards.

If all of the content that is on your device is already in your library that the warning isn't so serious. Erasing and reloading may take some time, but it should be a one time hit.

tt2

Apr 25, 2015 8:29 PM in response to turingtest2

The issue IS with the iTunes store. It's the iTunes store that's not letting me load my content on my iPod. And the link you posted for me is for downloading things from iPods, iPhones, and iPads to a computer.

On another issue, every time I try to change text with these messages, it doesn't let me change it back. That's why I had to use all caps instead of briefly italicizing the word "is."

Apr 25, 2015 11:40 PM in response to Dan the VG Man

The iTunes Store forum is for questions about buying/downloading from the iTunes store - your issue appears to be with syncing content from your iTunes library to an iPod, not buying/downloading from the store.

Have you copied your iTunes library into your new computer's iTunes library, either from your old computer, your backup of your downloads/library, or (using the link that tt2 gave) back from your iPod ? If you have all the contents that you currently have on your iPod in that iTunes library then you should be able to select and sync it from that iTunes library and not lose any content from your iPod

Apr 26, 2015 3:20 AM in response to Dan the VG Man

Apple devices can only be synced with a single library. IIRC iPhone and iPod shuffle can only be manually managed with a single library also. Each library contains a LibraryID which is also stored on the device and the two values are compared when syncing. In certain cases it seems that the ID may be changed following an update to iTunes, or if the computer is reset as iTunes is saving files, though typically this would involve some kind of warning about repairing a damaged database.

As given, if you have all of the content that is on your device in your library then the warning can be ignored. iTunes may take some time updating the device next time you let it do so, but you won't lose any content. If you have previously manually managed the device, and haven't kept copies of all of your content in the library then see the recovery advice I've posted. Recover any items that you need to and then set things up so that iTunes can repopulate the device from the library. If iTunes warns that there isn't enough room then you may need to restore the device before reloading it.

See also Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy.

tt2

Apr 26, 2015 5:56 AM in response to King_Penguin

I've had my iTunes content in the same computer for the past 2 1/2 years. It's the newer content I've had for the past several months that I can't add (other than a recently obtained podcast for some reason). I have to admit that at least twice during the winter my PC crashed and I had to reinstall Windows, and upon doing so, the iTunes store falsely recognized it as a different PC, but I thought I settled that with some of the tech-people at Apple.

Apr 26, 2015 9:05 AM in response to Dan the VG Man

If you've reinstalled the OS on that computer then your iPod will be seeing it as a different computer. Have you got all of the content in that iTunes library that is also on the iPod ? If you have then you can select and sync it so that it effectively remains on the iPod - though it may be deleted and copied back to it, if you have it selected for syncing it should be on it at the end of the sync.

Is your only problem with syncing content to your iPod, or (as you are say 'the iTunes store falsely recognized it as a different PC') are you also having problems buying/downloading from the store ?

Apr 28, 2015 12:03 PM in response to King_Penguin

"If you've reinstalled the OS on that computer then your iPod will be seeing it as a different computer."

True only if you haven't backed up the complete iTunes library before reinstalling the OS and restored it afterwards. The determination of syncing with a different library is based on unique identification embedded in the iTunes Library.itl file, not with anything associated with the physical hardware or the operating system.

I can't upload iTunes content to my iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.