Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't synch iPhone 4s using WiFi; iTunes drops WiFi connection

I am trying to set up things so I can sync my iPhone 4S (IOS 8.3) over WiFi to my PC (Windows 7, most recent iTunes). What I am seeing is that iTunes will connect to the iPhone, get the name of the phone etc, and perform an initial sync. But if I wait a moment and then try to do anything iTunes displays a message saying that it is looking for the phone, and then the phone's info in iTunes disappears. Then I have to restart either the iPhone or iTunes. If I go to the wireless router, and log in, the iPhone is still connected and Youtube still works (through the WiFi) so the WiFi is still working. So as far as I can tell all the hardware is still working it is just something in iTunes dropping the connection. I have also tried to start a Sync from the phone (after waiting a bit after the initial connection) and a similar thing happens. This is making it impossible to do much in the way of management of the iPhone through WiFi since every time I try to do anything the connection is not there anymore.

The iPhone's OS has been restored a number of times and the network settings have been reset to factory defaults, and this has not changed anything.

Anyone have any idea what to do next?

GOES_M

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.3, Windows 7, Most recent iTunes

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 10:41 AM

3 replies

Apr 25, 2015 8:55 AM in response to goes_m

Update: Tried some of the resets to defaults in iTunes. No joy. I am currently exporting my music library so I can re-install iTunes and all the devices that use it. Major pain without any expectation of success. Funny how Apple has pretty much total control of hardware and software and still stuff like this happens. Apple to me is a prime example that - in a practical sense - you only rent hardware and software, After 5 years or so it is all obsolete and you have to buy new. Work out the cost per year of this and get a shock.

Apr 25, 2015 12:22 PM in response to goes_m

Update: Replaced iTunes. Well, sort of. There are a half dozen programs to uninstall (in the right order), a dozen or so directories to check. And god-knows-what is in the iCloud. And still when I re-installed all my old preferences are still in place. If one of those preferences is causing trouble I am hosed. In any case, the problem remains. iTunes will happily detect the iPhone, and connect to it, but the moment I try to do something useful the connection is dropped by iTunes.

Apr 25, 2015 3:33 PM in response to goes_m

Another update: I have had to re-sync anything that talked to that copy of iTunes. So I have learned that my two 3rd gen iPod tounches are happy to work over the WiFi. Same wireless hardware, same Windows 7 computer, same copy of iTunes, same music library. I an giving up and will invest in a long USB cable,

Can't synch iPhone 4s using WiFi; iTunes drops WiFi connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.