Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Psychedelic screen

I've recently started having some intermittent problems with my iMac. More specifically it is (appearing to) affecting the screen. I've a 2010 iMac running OSX10.6.8 and with a 2.93Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 8gb of RAM.

Basically, the screen just goes from working fine to: either as if it has taken some psychadelic concoction, or it just goes a grey shade. Sometimes, if I press the on/off switch quickly I can get the screen back. But other times I have to start from scratch and switch off completely. It seems mainly to occur while viwing the internet and last night really didn't like an airline flights webpage. It became a real pain in the end - especially as I was trying to book the flights I wanted. I'll try and attach a photo.

User uploaded file

Hope someone can help and that the 'fix' isn't too expensive . . .

Thanks

John

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 11:53 AM

4 replies

May 14, 2015 12:27 PM in response to John Morgan02

Do you have any way to reproduce this? If so try the same action in safe boot. If not run safe mode for a few hours to see if you have the same thing appears.

Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up - Apple Support

Note: many features will be disabled by a safe boot - test as much as possible, poor graphics performance is normal in a safe boot too…

Limited graphics performance in OS X recovery or safe mode - Apple Support

Reboot to go back into a 'normal boot'.

Try a SMC reset…

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

If you have the original grey install discs use Apple hardware test to check the system (one disc will have the instructions printed on it - normally hold D at startup), it may not detect all errors, but it could give you somewhere else to look.

Using Apple Hardware Test - Apple Support

Run several extended & normal mode tests & record any error messages, also try 'loop mode' (hit cmd+L to enable that mode). Also let us know if the screen goes colourful in these different modes.

An Apple Store should be able to give you a diagnosis if you can take it along, but it may help for you to do some tests first.

Psychedelic screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.