Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help... I have purchased extra storage space in the cloud. I want to love all of mu photos there to free up space on my laptop. How do I do this??? I am paying for this feature and my storage is getting used up on my mac...

I purchased additional cloud space, so I can move all my photos there and not take up space on my laptop. How do I move all my photos there, do I move the library AND albums???? How do I access them once I get them there??

I am paying for this space, just for my photos and have NO clue how to use it, and my storage is getting full on laptop. Tried all the FAQs....

Thank you.

MacBook Air, iOS 8.3, latest operating system

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 10:57 AM

2 replies

Apr 24, 2015 8:40 PM in response to merylfrombradenton

Read this Apple document about the iCloud Photo Library: iCloud Photo Library FAQ - Apple Support

The following is from that document:

Can I use iCloud Photo Library to save space on my device?

iCloud Photo Library automatically keeps all your photos and videos in the original, high-resolution version. Follow these steps to choose how you store your photos and videos on your device:

• In iOS, tap Settings > iCloud > Photos or Settings > Photos & Camera, then select a storage setting.
  • In OS X, click Photos > Preferences > iCloud, then select a storage setting.

If you turn on Optimize [device] Storage, iCloud Photo Library will automatically manage the size of your library on your device, so you can make the most of your device's storage and access more photos than ever. All of your original, full-resolution photos and videos are stored in iCloud while device-size versions are kept on your device. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them

The bottom line is that you'll still have some copy of your photos on your hard drive but they can be smaller, optimized versions.

User uploaded file

Please help... I have purchased extra storage space in the cloud. I want to love all of mu photos there to free up space on my laptop. How do I do this??? I am paying for this feature and my storage is getting used up on my mac...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.