Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the proper procedure to backup to multiple external hard drives if one wishes to rotate drives such that you may store one in a fire safe?

Description: If I want to back up to two external hard drives using Time Machine, what is the proper procedure to follow such that I could keep one attached to Time Machine for daily backups, and one that I attach monthly such that I can back it up monthly, and then store it in a fire safe. To do this, what are the exact steps to follow?

Research in Progress:

I selected the "?" icon in Time Machine which took me to "Mac Help - Time Machine Preferences" section. I reviewed this section, including the "Select Backup Disk, Select Disk, Add or Remove Backup Disk." It says, "If you haven’t set up Time Machine, click Select Backup Disk to set up a backup disk. Repeat the steps for each backup disk you want to set up." I did add two backup disks. It goes on to say "If you already set up Time Machine, your backup disks are listed, and information about each backup disk is shown. To select, add, or remove backup disks, click Select Disk or Add or Remove Backup Disk." Well, what is lacking here is what happens when you "Remove" the backup disk.

As I have read this section, it raises additional questions:

1. What are some cautionary statements.
  2. What happens after you remove a backup disk? Will Time Machine recognize it later?
  3. What is the proper procedure for removing and ejecting one of your external hard drive when you use it with Time Machine? What happens if you don't "remove" a backup drive and instead just drag it to the "trash can, i.e. eject it" and later reconnect it.?

iMac (24-inch Mid 2007), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Time Machine

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 10:37 AM

13 replies

Apr 24, 2015 10:45 AM in response to Mac-tographer

How about two different backup methods:

1. keep your TM disk attached for continuous backups.

2. Get another external drive, format it properly, partition it if so desired, and with the help of either SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner, create a full bootable clone on it from your entire system once a month. You can eject the drive when done, store it wherever, bring it back, plug it in, and tell it to update the clone.

Since TM is not bootable in and of itself (you need to use recovery to reinstall the OS/restore with TM), having a bootable clone makes it very easy to recover from a disaster.

Apr 24, 2015 10:46 AM in response to Mac-tographer

Mount both disks and give them unique names. I call mine oddTM and evenTM because OddTM is connected on the 1st and 3rd week of the month while EvenTM is connected on the 2nd and 4th weeks. Select each as a TimeMachine drive using TimeMachine preferences and keep both connected until the first backup has completed. Or you may let one backup and unmount it then remount the second. TimeMachine is happy to work while both are mounted or just one. After about 10 days if one hasn’t been mounted you’ll get a message to that effect. That’s it. TimeMachine is smart and takes all the hard work out of it.

Apr 24, 2015 11:00 AM in response to Kappy

I admit I may not be up to date since I refuse to use it, but do need/want to keep up with whatever new development there is - and I've not read/heard anything that TM is bootable.

So why are you still booting into/winding up with the same recovery screen ("Utilities") as if you had used the Command + R?

Or are you telling me that you can simply choose the TM backup as a startup disk? And, is it as reliable as a tested clone?

Apr 24, 2015 11:04 AM in response to babowa

No, it just boots the Recovery HD, so you get the Utilities Menu. But you can start it if needed just using OPTION boot and selecting the Time Machine disk icon.

I don't use Time Machine myself because I prefer having separate backup clones from which to boot, but for those using Time Machine who find themselves unable to boot from their normal Recovery HD or need to boot from a separate disk drive, it's a convenience. This started with 10.7.3, so now there isn't really much chatter about it. Sort of, "You just had to be there." 😁

Apr 24, 2015 11:36 AM in response to Kappy

One side note - the TM drive must be mounted when you install the OS for this feature. That’s how the OS recovery partition is installed on the TM drive.

I also use CarbonCopyCloner for making a clone backup but until recently TimeMachine was less obtrusive about regular backups and I have, on occasion, been very glad my computer was backed up just an hour ago. The archive feature of CCC is great when it comes to retrieve old document files but I don’t know how I’d use CCC to restore to a complete computer state 4 hours in the past which is something TM makes seamless. That’s not a feature I’ve personally used but it is a feature I’ve used on the job.

Apr 24, 2015 11:51 AM in response to dwb

Technically, that would be the case when you begin using Time Machine. It must also be mounted in order to boot from it. As for CCC, if you archive changed files when performing an incremental backup, then you could just restore the changed files at that past point in time. It won't work, however, if you changed OS X version.

If you turn on Safety Net CCC caches all changes onto the backup drive as space permits. So, I suppose, if the backup drive maintains adequate free space for the cache then it is acting a bit like Time Machine. Or you do what many good back-uppers do: have multiple time backups. Today, past week, and past month, for example.

Time Machine is only seamless when you go looking for the old backup and find it. Not so good when they disappear for some unknown reason or you run out of space on the backup drive. I find Time Machine far more complex than CCC. Of course partly because Apple makes Time Machine appear to be a no-brainer when it's anything but.

Apr 24, 2015 12:23 PM in response to Kappy

i think we've talked backup strategies before and my motto is there's never too many and the more variety the better Which is why I use TM and CCC. What I've found professionally is that TM is a great "gateway backup" In that people who would never backup before do now. Having gotten them used to the idea I can then broaden their thinking to encompass other strategies.

Apr 24, 2015 12:35 PM in response to dwb

I don't disagree given that newcomers to the Mac find it easy to get started. But I don't prefer it at all. I use only two backup tools: CCC and Disk Utility. I have and continue to recommend a number of other tools I have found to be pretty reliable including SuperDuper!. My once favorite tool I gave up because it became too expensive to use. Next in line from that one no longer works with Mavericks and later. I'm not a big fan of the CCC GUI, but it does work OK.

Apr 24, 2015 1:27 PM in response to Mac-tographer

Babowa, Kappy, DWB - I appreciate the prompt feedback and am still reading the comments. As far as mounting or unmounting, if I'm just using Time Machine instead of a unix command, would someone care to explain the steps to actually removing it from Time Machine? I thought that I have to turn off Time Machine, then select "remove backup disk," and then go into Disk Utilities and eject it. Is that correct?

Apr 24, 2015 6:46 PM in response to Kappy

No, it just boots the Recovery HD, so you get the Utilities Menu. But you can start it if needed just using OPTION boot and selecting the Time Machine disk icon.

Thanks Kappy - so, it's just a different way to get to or boot into recovery instead of hitting Command + R; this explains a back and forth conversation I had a couple of days ago with Oglethorpe and it also explains why some people think it is bootable which, technically, it is not in and of itself (unless I've misunderstood something).

I shall now go back to my preferred bootable clone corner. Thanks for the info! I also use CCC - I appreciate knowing that I can test it and know that it will work; I have two working clones of every OS version I've got (plus what I call a "factory fresh" clone made immediately after I got the device which does not get updated purposely - I intend to use it if/when I sell the machine).

Apr 24, 2015 7:21 PM in response to Mac-tographer

Time Machine supports multiple backup drives including network area storage volumes (NAS) as well as physically-connected external backup drives.

In , System Preferences, Time Machine, add the second drive by clicking Select Disk.

All available connected drives including connected network drives are displayed.

User uploaded file

Select the additional drives, one at a time.

Connected Network drives are displayed on the desktop only when actively being used by Time Machine for backup.

When prompted, select 'use both' when adding the second drive.

User uploaded file

Then choose Select or Remove at the bottom of the list of available devices and network volumes to add additional drives.

User uploaded file

Time Machine then automatically rotates backups among the available designated devices and volumes.

If the drive is physically not present, Time Machine skips to the next available backup drive.

To DISMOUNT a drive to take it off-site, it is NOT necessary to remove it from the Time Machine preferences.

When the drive is NOT in use, dismount it by Command+clicking that Drive icon on your desktop (or in Finder) and then "Eject".

That's it.

After 10 days with no backups to a given device, Time Machine does display a message and (as I recall) asks if you want to remove that drive from the rotation.

You can never be too rich or have too many backups!

What is the proper procedure to backup to multiple external hard drives if one wishes to rotate drives such that you may store one in a fire safe?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.