Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie not opening up correct Photos Library

The update that made iPhoto become Photos has been causing all kinds of problems. The latest issue is in iMovie. I'm working on a project and I need my Photos to link to iMovie so I can add the photos into the movie project. iMovie is opening up the wrong Photos Library. I have made the Photos Library I want the "System Library", but iMovie keeps opening up a different Photos Library. I know I can drag and drop by opening up Photos and doing it that way, but I shouldn't have to open up two separate programs to do this. These two programs should be working together seamlessly - like they used to.

MacBook (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 12:30 PM

8 replies

Dec 31, 2016 4:48 PM in response to jGilbo

Hi,

Before launching iMovie, open your current Photos app (the "systems library" one), and park it on the dock. Then open iMovie and see if it reads it.

If that doesn't work, try moving your old Photos library to an external drive and then disconnect the drive from your computer. Then see if iMovie will link to the Photos library that you want.

-- Rich

Jan 8, 2016 6:31 AM in response to jGilbo

This happened to me after upgrading to El Capitan.

All of my photos were imported into the new Photos Library, but when I opened iMovie, it still showed my iPhotos Library with only the old pictures in the sidebar. Photos library was set as the system library, and if I tried to go through the menu to set a new library through iMovie, they were greyed out and I couldn't select the correct one.

What I ended up doing (simultaneously, so I'm not sure which one of these fixed it)

• Hold down command and option while opening Photos. Dialog appears to Repair the library, do that.
  • Open the App store and download the update to iMovie

If you want to try just the second one go for it. Good luck; glad I got mine working.

Jan 8, 2016 10:57 AM in response to knightem

If you are using iMovie 9 ('11) or earlier I'm not sure but I don't think it will interface with Photos since Photos did not exist when these versions of iMovie were current. I think you will have to locate the photos in the photos library manually and import from there or drag and drop into the project.

Geoff.

Dec 31, 2016 12:53 PM in response to jGilbo

Same problem here. Tried to repeat the task in Final Cut, same issue. Bug is on Photos, thus I did not try to reinstall iMovie. I ended up importing the pictures I wanted on iMovie.... between two Apple apps... dumb! waste of time! unacceptable! (drag and drop did not work?!?). Just hope an update is upcoming. So annoying.

iMovie not opening up correct Photos Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.