Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Same Wi-Fi Network?

I've read that the Apple Watch can still fully function outside of Bluetooth range if the Watch and iPhone are on the same network. Is that accurate? If so, mine doesn't work. I went out of range and my Watch said it wasn't connected to my iPhone (still on the Wi-Fi network).

If it matters, this a home network.

Thanks!

Watch Sport 42mm, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 1:38 PM

5 replies

Jun 11, 2015 2:44 PM in response to Victor In Munich

I have two Apple airport express APs in my home and the Apple Watch seems to switch between the APs fine. But I noticed that when I turn off Bluetooth on the iPhone and walk between the two APs with the watch there is a momentary red disconnected icon at the top of the watch screen. The red icon stays for about 10 seconds and then goes away. Could this be because the watch is disconnecting from one AP and connecting to the closer AP with a stronger Wi-Fi signal? I am using a first gen and second gen airport express and the APs have the same name. My iPhone seamlessly switches to the AP with the stronger Wi-Fi signal.

Same Wi-Fi Network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.