Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you get shocked from a macbook pro or its power cord?

My computer is from mid 2012 - it's the macbook pro OSX 10.8.5. Can you get an electric shock from touching the end of the power cord while it's plugged in (touching the end that's supposed to go into the computer), or from sticking your finger in the port on your computer that the cord is supposed to go in, like can the battery shock you either? Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 1:30 PM

Yes, you can get shocked from the power cord's MagSafe plug is the adapter is plugged in. You can also get shocked by the battery if touch across the battery's outputs, but not from the female MagSafe port on the computer.

15 replies

Apr 24, 2015 1:35 PM in response to jemclaired

Voltage is only flowing in through the MagSafe port, not out. The battery's output isn't connected to the MagSafe port. So unless you remove the battery it will not shock you.

In some rare cases users feel a slight shock from the case of the computer. I'm not sure what the exact cause is, but it usually involves a new motherboard. So, I'm guessing it is a component failure causing an internal voltage leak onto the casing.

Apr 24, 2015 1:35 PM in response to jemclaired

You can never get a Shock from the male Mag safe plug even if the adapter is plugged in. Its not possible at all because the white squarish power brick reduces the AC current flowing through the power cord before it reaches the Macbook through the Mag safe plug.

You may get a shock only and only if the adapter is faulty or short circuited.

Neither with the Male Mag safe nor the Female Mag Safe port you could get a shock.

The current flowing through the adapter to the computer is not that powerful that can give a shock to humans.

There are cases reported where the ports or the laptop charger gives a shock but thats just the faulty machine cases.

If the adapter is faulty then you may get a shock but the effect may vary. Can’t tell you the exact effect you Know........😁

Hope this helps...

Apr 24, 2015 1:43 PM in response to Grane Duke

Obviously, you don't quite understand electricity. The power brick reduces the AC voltage and converts it to DC. The amount of current that flows is entirely dependent upon the endpoint and its connection to ground. 85 watts can give you quite a shock, but because most humans have a high resistance the current flowing through them to ground is too small to notice.

Perhaps you can verify this by plugging in your 85 watt charge and then press the MagSafe connectors against your finger being sure you touch all of them simultaneously.

Apr 24, 2015 2:02 PM in response to Kappy

Of course I understand electricity.

Kappy, by the word “SHOCK” I meant that the phenomenon that will give a Terrifying Shock to a human.

I know that a current runs through the power cord and it may give a shock that won’t be noticeable to humans as most of them are immune to such shock levels.

I haven’t got a 85 watts charger but I do have a 60 watts charger and I can even touch the mag safe plug to my facial skin without a slight hint of shock. Note that I don’t wear any rubber slippers that may absorb it......

I am not sure about the 85 watts charger but don’t think that will either give any human a terrifying shock.....

Apr 24, 2015 2:26 PM in response to Chris CA

Chris, I know that a Shock can be a slight zap which isn’t noticeable that much and it can also be terrifying which may be fatal.

But in this context, I was trying to tell Kappy that its not possible for any Mag safe plug to give a terrifying shock levels. It is indeed possible to get a slight zap out of a mag safe plug.... I hope you get what I mean.....!!

Apr 24, 2015 2:32 PM in response to Grane Duke

Even a slight reaction is a shock. Electric shock itself does not define a magnitude. Dozens of users report feeling a shock or tingle on a Mac casing.

We aren't immune to the slight shock but if you happen to have a high body resistance you don't feel the shock. Everyone has a unique body resistance, but some happen have an unusually low body resistance and may feel a shock no one else feels.

It is possible to deliver a near deadly shock using just an automobile battery - 12 volts and capable of delivering hundreds of amps instantaneously. Given a high enough current even a low voltage can prove deadly. Wattage is just the result of multiplying voltage times current. You can get a pretty decent tingle from a high voltage fluorescent light transformer - say 9,000 volts at a few mAs.

Apr 24, 2015 2:52 PM in response to Kappy

I agree with your words, Kappy. You are correct on your side about the Shock phenomenon. But even you should give me a chance to put my point.

If you read by last 2 posts carefully, then you will notice that I was referring to a terrifying shock and not a slight zap or a tingle.

What I meant was that No mag safe plug can give a terrifying shock. It can indeed give a slight zap or a tingle.

Hope you get what I mean....!!

Can you get shocked from a macbook pro or its power cord?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.