Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File sharing between PM9600/350 running os 8.6 and 2.8 Core 2 Duo iMac running 10.5.8.

Originally, I had no problems with file sharing between the PM9600 an older 2.16 Core 2 Duo iMac running os 10.4.11. The 2.16 iMac hard drive would mount on my PM9600 desktop everytime I would enter my password through AppleShare in Chooser. I could then navigate through the desktop folder and transfer files from the PM9600 to the iMac with no problems. Unfortunately, the power supply gave up in the 2.16 iMac, and I found a newer 2.8 Core 2 Duo.

I've been file sharing from the newer 2.8 iMac to the PowerMac9600 by the same process (choosing the ip address of the iMac through the AppleShare icon in Chooser) with some hiccups. I could only access my public folder on the 2.8 iMac through the icon on the PM9600 desktop. All other folders would be locked and unavailable, even though my user account on the newer iMac was an administrative account will all access. This has worked fine for a while, but now when I enter the ip address of the iMac on the PM9600 through the AppleShare icon in Chooser, I get a alert dialog box stating:

"The User Authentication Method required by this server can't be found, please check the AppleShare folder in the Extensions folder and try again"

There's no request to enter a password as I had experienced before. I'm pretty much a novice at networking, but I'm frustrated that I haven't been able to transfer important documents from the PM9600 to the iMac. I have both computers connected via ethernet cables to the same Belkin router and DSL modem. I also have a HP LaserJet 4050 connected to the router, and can print from both computers, so the cables are functioning correctly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much!

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 2:44 PM

At least according to the table at http://www.applefool.com/se30/#afpnetwork, there is a difference between connecting from Mac OS 8.6 to Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5 (in the latter case, a "guest account" is mentioned). Could this possibly be something worth investigating?

Jan

8 replies

Apr 24, 2015 3:12 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thanks for link, looking at the table, the highest os that 8.6 can connect to, is 10.5 (via the mentioned Guest account). That was probably the reason why I was restricted only to the public folder. But I still should have the 10.5 volume mount on my 8.6 desktop, and I can't get past the dialog box stating, "The User Authentication Method..."

I did recover the hard drive out of the older 2.16 iMac, and I've placed it in a firewire external enclosure. I've started up my 2.8 iMac with that drive (running 10.4.11), and I still couldn't get the volume to mount on the 8.6 desktop. I have the 4 GB drive on the PM9600 partitioned into 4 1GB volumes, and I had one of the volumes completely unused. Earlier today, I did a complete install of os 8.5 from a retail disk, and then updated with the 8.6 update thinking that might help. Once I restarted the PM9600 with this newly installed version of 8.6, the same dialog box ("The User Authentication Method...) came up when trying to mount the 10.5 drive on the 2.8 iMac, and I never even get to the dialog box for my password that has come up when everything was working properly.

What's frustrating is that as far as I know, no settings were changed when this problem just popped up. I have had some issues with the PM9600 when it would go to sleep, and I'd have to cycle through changing the AppleTalk settings through the Control Panel. I'd have to switch between the ethernet settings to any of the others (Modem Port, Printer Port, etc.) by changing and then saving the settings, and then switch back to the Ethernet setting and saving again. This issue would come up also if I need to print something from the PM9600, since the LaserJet printer would not appear when I selected the LaserWriter 8 driver in the Chooser window until I cycled through the AppleTalk settings. I since changed my Energy Saving settings to never having the system put to sleep, and I haven't had that issue with the LaserJet not be available. I was hoping that since my LaserJet was available in the Chooser, that the iMac drive would be available too, but it's still not showing up. Thanks again for your link and your help, maybe someone out there can pass on some additional information!

Apr 25, 2015 4:27 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi Jan, thanks for your advice and comments again. Sorry for the late reply, my Macs are here at my business, and right now I'm underwater with all of my shop work, so I have to limit my time tackling this problem. I know I'll have to solve it sooner rather than later since I do all of my CAD work on my PM9600 with an ancient 2D CAD program called Claris CAD. I do have another CAD application for use on OSX (Ashlar-Vellum's Graphite), but I haven't gotten around to learning it since I have so many hats to wear at work (salesperson, designer, fabricator, welder, IT & networking expert ;-), etc. to name a few!)

I do know that the PRAM battery is bad since the date and time has to be set whenever I restart the machine after a short period. I just ordered a Saft 3.6v half AA battery from Amazon, and it should get to me by Tuesday by the end of the day. I haven't opened the case for a while (scared on what I might find actually), so I don't know about the condition of any of the capacitors. I'm guessing it will be best to reset the PRAM once I install the new battery. Could the bad PRAM battery cause the strange network behavior? I'll see what I can find out about the condition of any of the capacitors. I don't know how to check the logic board battery voltage, but I can possibly look into that also. I think I might have an Apple Service Manual on the PM9600 downloaded somewhere, but it's just a question of locating it. I'm also thinking of signing up and posting my situation on the PowerPC Discussion forum at 68kmla.org when I have time. They seem to have a lot of discussions regarding vintage Macs. I have to go back out to my fabrication duties, but I'll keep checking back to see what you and others might offer up as advice. Thanks again for your continuing input, I really appreciate it!

Apr 25, 2015 5:00 PM in response to FS60

Hi FS60! Since you're running os 8.6 on your PM9600 it may help you if you could update it to 9.2.2 as outlined in this OWC article. You'll notice that there is a forum available for $10 with a promise that you will "...get your questions answered.., 🙂 .

<snip>

OS9 Helper allows you to install 9.2.1 or 9.2.2 on certain "Old World" Macs that Apple has decided to drop support for. OS 9.1 is the final version that Apple allows to install on anything previous to the Beige G3.

<snip>

OS9 Helper works on the 7200-9600 Powermac series, as well as several others. For the full list, see the compatibility matrix.

How much does it cost?

OS9 Helper is available as a free download with no support. There is a support forum available for a $10 fee. See the links above for information on how to register. Registering for the forum will ensure that you get your questions answered, as well as encourage me to continue development of OS9 Helper.

</snip>

http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/OS9Helper/Framework.cfm?topic=32

After you've taken care of the physical problems, of course.

....goldie

Apr 26, 2015 1:06 PM in response to Goldenbill

Unfortunately, my CAD application will not work with OS 9.X. The last compatible OS that Claris CAD seems to work with is the OS 8.6 system that's installed on the PM9600. That's the main reason I'm still using the legacy hardware and trying to transfer the files to my iMac after I produce them on the PM9600. Also the PM9600 is the last Mac to boot from OS 7, and that's what's needed to install Claris Cad. I end up making either a postscript file or pdf file of the desired document and then transfer the documents to my iMac to e-mail or save for future use. Thanks for the information on OWC article, I've purchased hardware from them before, and have always been satisfied...

File sharing between PM9600/350 running os 8.6 and 2.8 Core 2 Duo iMac running 10.5.8.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.