Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prohibited sign on start up and error when trying to re-install os x maverick. Help?

So I get the prohibited sign on start up, and i tried using the command-option-p-r and os x utilities popped up. I checked if any of my disks needed repairing and all of them were fine. But whenever I try to re-install os x mavericks an error would come up saying that I need to restart the application.

Help anyone?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 2:24 PM

5 replies

Apr 25, 2015 2:20 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks for the response!

I just tried that method and it seemed to work but then it said once it was almost finished (it took 2 hours and 40mins),

"Can't download the additional components needed to install OS X"

and afterwards we checked the disks again and one of them needed to be repaired so we did that, tried re-installing it again but the error popped up again.

Apr 26, 2015 2:12 AM in response to applecombat

This is what I would try:

Since a 2008 MBP came with Leopard (10.5) and to install Lion (10.7) or later requires a Snow Leopard disk (10.6), I would use one of those disks. Again check the status of the HDD with Disk Utility>First Aid using the disk and install an OSX. You will then have to download the Snow Leopard combo update (10.6.8).

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399?locale=en_US

You will have to erase the disk so have your data backed up, Once you have established that you have a working OSX installed, then I would download Mavericks.

If you cannot install an OSX with the disks then there is a hardware problem and a trip to an Apple store genius bar will be the best option. The evaluation will be FREE.

Ciao.

Prohibited sign on start up and error when trying to re-install os x maverick. Help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.