Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

chapters changed by compressor from QT

I used QT to combine two videos that were edited in FCP X, exported with their chapters, then imported back into FCP X to apply audio corrections(*). Note that when reimported to FCP X the chapters disappear... (Q1: how might I keep the chapters that show up in a QT video when importing in to FCP X?)

Then I exported those videos, imported the chapters from the older export. (PS: all the exports are self contained ProRes 422)

Next, I trimmed both videos so I could combine them for a BluRay disc (they don't fit as a DVD, so that's why I have two video files and needed to trim to get rid of the "insert disk 2" piece...) I used QT to select and add to video to make one longer video that had the chapters in it. The chapter markers are all in the right place, etc. I also used QT Edit (from Digital Rebellion) to check the chapters, all is good. I even looked at the text chapter file in QT Edit, and all the time code data is correct.

But when I put that video into compressor - the chapters markers have moved! The value appear to be off by the amount cut off the end of #1 and the beginning of #2 (about 25 seconds) which wreaks havoc on the chapters.

Has anyone encountered this and have any straight forward way to correct it?

My only apparent alternative now would be to change the FCP X edits to make four video exports: part 1, part 2, the "change disk" part, and the "short title at that start of disk 2" piece, and maybe a fifth one which is 1+2 for the BRD.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, MacPro 2012 Hex 3.3, 32GB, 2x2TB

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 2:28 PM

4 replies

Apr 25, 2015 10:41 AM in response to Edward A. Oates

I'm not sure how Compressor is integral to this. Why don't you go back into your original FCP X Project. Make your audio adjustments there. Then export your segments as separate movie with chapters. I don't know a way to retain the chapter markers when you reimport.

Alternatively, you could use a dual layer disk with the long video and Share>Blu Ray.

Russ

Apr 25, 2015 11:19 AM in response to Russ H

I actually did that, and compressor shows the chapter markers now in the correct spot. I just put all new chapter marker in to the reimported video as you suggest.

But interestingly, when I "burn" the blu-ray to hard drive and use the third party Mac Blu Ray player to view it, the markers are still off. Also interestingly, the .img file shows the correct creation and modified date, but when I mount it, the dates are incorrect, almost like it reverts to some old version. Something weird going on there, likely unrelated to compressor.

Likely an independent issue related to finder, etc.

I'l report back when I figure that one out!

Apr 27, 2015 12:55 PM in response to Edward A. Oates

(Sorry to keep replying to my own post, but you may find my observations useful)...

I burned (to disc) from compressor again, but I deleted and trashed all compressor preferences, the old .img, and compressed h.264, etc files, and used a different .img file name. That appears to have done the trick. I don't know what's going on with created/modified dates - they are still weird - but the chapters now appear in the correct spots, at least with MacPlayer. Burning to BRD single layer now to check on a variety of other machines.

I also used Toast to burn a BRD to disc, and MacPlayer's test menu displayer doesn't show the menus, but the chapters are there correctly. I allowed Toast to compress the mov file as well. I'm burning that to BRD to see if the menu issues are just a MacPlayer test feature anomaly.

chapters changed by compressor from QT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.