Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Allows changes to wifi settings by standard user without inputting admin name/password?

Is there a way I can make changes to my wifi as a standard user without inputting an admin name/password? Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 1:38 PM

1 reply

Apr 24, 2015 4:18 PM in response to osx109mavericks

I believe you may have pre-configured "Locations" which the non-admin user may select from via the Apple menu -> Location -> ... (NOTE: This menu entry is ONLY visible if you have multiple Locations configured).

Each location can have different network setups, different network interfaces active, different DNS servers, different Proxy servers, etc...

The Admin can use System Preferences -> Network -> Location: -> Edit Locations -> gear menu -> Duplicate Location, which will create a duplicate of the current selected location. You can then rename the location via the Location: -> gear menu -> Rename Location.

Now that you have another location, you can configure that location they way you desire.

Now the non-admin user can use the Apple menu -> Location and choose the Location that has the network configuration desired.

Allows changes to wifi settings by standard user without inputting admin name/password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.