Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is it possible to link cells from 1 numbers document to another?

I have 5 documents with multiple sheets per document. i am now trying to make a master document that can pull the contents of certain cells in those 5 documents for use in the new master document. i know i can do this in google docs, is this possible in numbers too?

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 2:18 PM

21 replies

Apr 24, 2015 7:39 PM in response to carlo987

carlo987 wrote:

I have 5 documents with multiple sheets per document. i am now trying to make a master document that can pull the contents of certain cells in those 5 documents for use in the new master document. i know i can do this in google docs, is this possible in numbers too?

It is possible with just about any real spreadsheet, but not with Numbers. Try anything else. LibreOffice, OpenOffice (the free ones) or Excel (the best there is right now, but not free)

Apr 24, 2015 8:38 PM in response to Csound1

It is possible with just about any real spreadsheet, but not with Numbers. Try anything else. LibreOffice, OpenOffice (the free ones) or Excel (the best there is right now, but not free)

I tried a "real" spreadsheet (a good one) and here is what I get:

User uploaded file

Linking between documents no longer necessarily qualifies as best practices in a cross-platform world where collaboration via the cloud is increasingly common. An app that recognizes these realities perhaps does not deserve to be disparaged as somehow not being a "real" spreadsheet.

Work in Numbers can be organized within one document, and a script can be used in the relatively rare occasions when values must be copied from one document to another and a simple copy-paste as described by Ian won't do the job.

SG

Apr 24, 2015 8:52 PM in response to SGIII

All that shows is that you failed to perform a task with Excel that Excel and others have been competent at for years, 15 years in Excels case. Numbers won't do what the OP wants and the others will,.

Spin it how you like, telling people that they should change their workflow to accommodate Numbers failings is another reminder how poor it is. earlier versions were better ironically.

Apr 24, 2015 9:15 PM in response to Csound1

Hi Csound1,

Have you tried linking between documents in the version of Excel that I illustrate in my screenshot before suggesting that Numbers (and now, apparently, I) are not competent?

Surely we all adjust our workflows as technology marches on. Linking between documents might have made sense 15 years ago on an unconnected machine where a single user could carefully maintain the folder/file structure. But it's less useful in a networked, multiuser, collaborative, increasingly cloud-oriented world.

Numbers, and the version of Excel illustrated above, recognize those realities. Yet they're both still very much "real" spreadsheets.

SG

Apr 24, 2015 9:43 PM in response to SGIII

Your picture shows that for some unknown reason there is a file access problem, on a remote drive from what may or may not be a compatible source. It illustrates nothing beyond something is broken.

nice try

now lets approximate the OP's needs a little closer.

Local storage, multiple sheets in a single instance of Excel, no third party file services.

Apr 25, 2015 5:05 AM in response to Csound1

Your picture shows that for some unknown reason there is a file access problem, on a remote drive from what may or may not be a compatible source.

Not an unknown reason at all. That's a known configuration commonly used these days, and integrated deeply into new versions of modern spreadsheet apps including Excel. My example illustrates why linking between workbooks is no longer such a great idea. The fact that Numbers does not even try to link that way may be disappointing to some users (I would guess a small subset) but it does not somehow disqualify Numbers from being a "real" spreadsheet app as you seem to have suggested.

SG

Apr 25, 2015 7:01 AM in response to carlo987

Carlo,

The short answer is Number has never support referencing a cell in different document. Speculating on future features is a waste of time. You can make you own conclusions about this feature by looking at the list of Version and the support of this feature:

Numbers Reference

Version different document

1.x NO

2.x NO

3.x NO

I embed the data in a different sheet of the same document. This means I am never confused about where the data resides. If this is a required feature for your work flow I suggest you use the tool that best suits your needs.

All the best,

Wayne

Apr 25, 2015 8:29 AM in response to carlo987

Hi Carlo,

I can recall many examples where a colleague has sent me what they thought was an Excel 'master document' but they did not include the documents that created it. Links were lost and the 'master document' would not update. Totally useless. I think that the Numbers way (all data or at least fixed 'values only' summary tables) in one document is the sensible way.

Regards,

Ian.

Apr 25, 2015 9:11 AM in response to carlo987

As an Interactive Media Developer, I had many clients that skipped the discovery & planning stage or decided they wanted to "improve" the functionality and interface of legacy content. When they couldn't figger it out, they came to me to "program" the functions.

AppleScript is likely capable of doing what you want - but your learning curve will also likely be steep, and a teeny mistake throws a wrench in the works. I am retired and not interested in taking on an academic puzzle so I suggest https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=off&q=applescripts+for+numbers as a place to start.

If this is for business, you may find that cost/benefit analysis points you to hiring a professional.

ÇÇÇ

Apr 25, 2015 9:40 AM in response to carlo987

carlo987 wrote:

The answer to your question is no, you can not do what you wanted to do using Numbers. You can do any of the workarounds suggested, or you can use something else

Apr 25, 2015 9:43 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

Hi ÇÇÇ,

buenos dias (when you awaken?)

I am awake. Two days ago I made the silly mistake of updating my OS X to version 10.10.3 during peak internet time. It took over two hours to download and, yup, chewed up my peak internet allowance. So I have to work off-peak until 1st May. Hence my overnight activity.

Applescript is useful, but I find that Numbers 'as-is' works for me.

G'night,

Ian.

Apr 25, 2015 2:12 PM in response to Yellowbox

[ Y a w w w n - s t r e t c h > COFFEE! ]

Did I say something to someone here about "discovery" & "planning" ?? 👿

You discovered that there was no facility in Numbers for linkage of documents and plan your workflow accordingly = Best Practices !! 😎

You did NOT plan your download of the simitee update for sleepy-time and you now discover that there are consequences 👿

We are now approaching the part of the day that we have being awake in common... enjoy yours - G'Day! Mate!

is it possible to link cells from 1 numbers document to another?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.